Search This Blog

Thursday, December 3, 2009

Skies Over Northport and First Snow At Last


Was the full moon on Monday? Following a sunny day?


And did the next morning bring dramatic clouds over Grand Traverse Bay?

My book order this week was more complicated than usual. Then there were more ornaments to dig out of the closet. Firearm deer season over at last, Sarah and I had a lot of outdoor exercise, exploring and fun to make up for. And with David working in his studio last night, I took the opportunity to curl up for the evening with Stendahl. (Sorry, James Joyce!) All in all, I've gotten behind myself on the blog. Now it's snowing!!! "The painted ponies go up and down...."


Sarah loves the snow! Sarah loves the world!


Stopping by a neighbor's orchard to photograph the beautiful snowy trees--


--I had a bonus opportunity: wild turkeys on a leisurely breakfast stroll.


Finally, cozy at the bookstore, I wonder how long the blooming geraniums will last with their caps of snow. They have done remarkably well (well, mild weather helped) to make it to December. And here indoors is the long-awaited translation of French cookbook classic, I Know How to Cook (Je sais cuisiner), by Ginette Mathiot. What American classic is comparable? Maybe Rombauer's The Joy of Cooking. Has there ever been a French bride without Je sais cuisiner in her kitchen? Best of all for American cooks, this English translation will not give measurements in metric.

11 comments:

Gerry said...

I had to chuckle as I read this. All the questions reminded me of Dick Cheney interviewing himself at press conferences. The difference being, of course, that you actually conveyed accurate information. Sounds like a happy, busy week at Dog Ears, painted ponies and all.

P. J. Grath said...

Ha yourself, Gerry! Do you remember when I did interview myself?
http://booksinnorthport.blogspot.com/2009/04/real-me-interview-with-myself.html
The reason for today's questions was mental fogginess. The days have zipped by so quickly that I wasn't sure how many had passed and what had happened when.

Pamela Terry and Edward said...

Books and dogs in snow. Pure bliss.

Jessica Winder said...

I'd love to visit your bookshop. It looks really warm and attractive with lots to tempt the reader. Unfortunately, I can't do that . I would like to buy one of your calendars and wondered if you were able to send things to the UK. Can I buy things online?

P. J. Grath said...

Pamela, thanks for visiting. Jessica, I wish you could be here in person, too. Here's a link for Ken Scott and his calendars:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/kenscottphotography/4118885201/
I am a typical Northport business person, i.e., do not accept credit or debit cards, so what I do by mail is done the slow, old-fashioned way. If you find something on my Dog Ears Books website that you want, we would work out the sale and shipping to U.K. somehow, but you can probably get the calendar faster and more easily by going through either Ken Scott or the Leelanau Enterprise. Thanks for asking.

Anonymous said...

You are so lucky to have a bookstore. To see wild turkeys. To have a dog named Sarah. To have an eye for photographing the world. For being a reader of delicious books. I was pondering buying a book this morning (oh dear, on-line, because we're not near any bookstores and I was feeling impatient) but wanted to leisurely open the book and peruse it first. To find out if it REALLY looks good. Maybe will exhibit patience and wait to see if the book might show up in a bookstore in Marquette or Houghton or on some travels. Patience is good, right?

P. J. Grath said...

I am VERY lucky! When you're next in Marquette, please convey greetings from Dog Ears Books to Snowbound Books. I love that place but haven't made it that far north in a couple of years.
P.S. I know what you mean about wanting to have the book in your hands before buying it. Me, too!

Anonymous said...

Lovely moon images, even with the power lines. I've never seen a wild turkey before. Until now.

P. J. Grath said...

Now I"ll admit it: I liked the power lines in the image. Gave it that urban look. Village look? You know. You've never seen wild turkeys? We have so many of the same flora and fauna, but I guess not everything is duplicated between Michigan and Nova Scotia.

Dawn Parker said...

Dare I ask the price of Je sais cuisiner? Might be a worthy Christmas gift for a family Francophile. Thanks!

P. J. Grath said...

Asking costs nothing! The price tag is a whopping $45, but if you want it I'll be happy to gift wrap for you and pay the shipping. You've been a good customer over the years, and I appreciate that. If you don't want to go that high, that's okay, too--no hard feelings. Thanks for asking!