Search This Blog

Thursday, May 27, 2010

I Know You’re Out There!

Beautiful day, beautiful day. --Hello, you! You know who you are. You’re someone who reads this blog but doesn’t leave comments, and let me be very clear from the outside that I am not singling you out for criticism! No, I just want to salute you and thank you for reading. It means a lot to me.

Trying to leave comments can be frustrating. I wrote it, hit “publish,” copied the silly string of letters, so where did it go? (Gerry, thank you for persevering when our respective platforms are being stinky with each other!) Many times, too, we read something without feeling compelled to leave a response. Yes, me, too, though I do leave comments regularly on blogs whose writers I’ve come to know, through the ether if not in person, and occasionally on a site I’ve visited for the first time. Other times? Often? I read, enjoy and move on. In fact, I’m more likely to send a link to a friend about a post that strikes me than I am to leave a comment for the blogger. So I do understand, because I'm there, too.

On the other hand, I must say that it was very affirming to receive five different e-mail messages from various of you in response to a recent post. Shall I do a Sally Field? No, that would be going too far. Just—thanks! Thanks for reading. You give me the heart to go on.

Thanks, also, to Christy, who wants to open a bookstore in her Missouri hometown and has been e-mailing me with questions after reading one or more of my contributions to the Bookshop Blog. Christy, look how beautifully the flowering plant you sent goes with the color of the walls at Dog Ears Books! I'm not ignoring your last two e-mails, either. It was a busy morning here at the bookstore.

Have you checked out some of the other blogs in my list? Here’s a post from “Get Your Botany On!” you don't want to miss, and you don’t have to be a botanist to enjoy it and learn from it.

Here in Northport, at the store, my back-ordered copies of Rabbi Hirschfield's book are in. I have You Don't Have To Be Wrong For Me To Be Right in both paper and hardcover. Purchase now so you can read the book (or at least start it) before his June 6 lecture. It will whet your appetite for his talk.

And that seems like enough for one day, doesn’t it? Maybe, in closing, a little video of Northport Creek on this lovely day in May:

4 comments:

Deborah said...

A video today - what fun! I only wish I had the music of the bubbling water to hear while viewing the video. Thanks for sharing.

P. J. Grath said...

Good morning, Deborah! Haven't always wondered: If you lived in Frank Lloyd Wright's "Falling Waters" house, would you be running to the bathroom every five minutes?! Not a very elevated thought for the morning, but I can't get the question out of my mind.

Dawn said...

Do you, as a blogger, ever feel like a Who on the thistle that Horton is holding? "We are here, we are here, we are HERE!"

P. J. Grath said...

Exactly, Dawn! And did you know/remember that HORTON HEARS A WHO is one of my all-time favorite books? Maybe you haven't hard the story before of how I worked the summer after high school graduation--well, as an unpaid volunteer--on a late-night radio call-in request program. Many's the evening the DJ and his two helpers (a friend and I) would make up the requests ourselves, perceiving the world outside the lighted radio station as empty, unpeopled space. But--you never know....