Search This Blog

Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Color Here, Color There

Despite leaden skies, despite hills and trees blanketed in white, there were flashes of color to be found today in Northport. These mountain ash berries behind Barb's Bakery were cheery. A red bicycle abandoned (temporarily, I'm sure) behind the library also caught my eye.



But I must confess--I'm escaping again to Paris tonight. It came, it came! The Elegance of the Hedgehog, by Muriel Barbery, has been a sensation in Europe and is now available in the U.S. (and at Dog Ears Books) in trade paperback. One Parisian psychotherapist has been prescribing it for her patients. I won't even begin to quote the rave reviews. There are two narrators, a suicidal 12-year-old genius and the concierge of the apartment building, a secret autodidact. My stepdaughter, who recommended this book to me, loved it despite the philosophy. So there's that caveat. But for me, it is all self-indulgence. Really, here I am on the rue de Grenelle, after having spent two or three evenings on the rue du Bac (Left Bank, by Kate Muir). Okay, I promise the next book I read will be by an American writer and feature an American setting!

REMINDER: Leelanau Children's Choir and Youth Ensemble will be performing this coming Friday and Saturday in Northport. Don't miss this beautiful seasonal concert. Tickets available at Dog Ears Books or at the door, performances 7:30 p.m. both evenings.

ANOTHER REMINDER: Saturday, 6 p.m., is the Christmas tree lighting in the village of Northport, followed by merchant open house events downtown. Dog Ears Books will have its house open until 8 p.m. Please come and celebrate with us.

DECEMBER BOOK SALE: Dec. 3-31 at Dog Ears Books in Northport most books in stock, new and used, will be discounted 20% to help with your holiday shopping! The sale is not limited to the open house hours but starts tomorrow and continues to the end of the month. No holds, please. Come and shop and carry away your treasures!

No comments: