Search This Blog

Saturday, January 10, 2009

The "Middle of the Night!"


The MOTN is any dark hour when one’s partner finds it outrageous that one is not either asleep or actively courting sleep. (Can one “actively court sleep,” or does the very endeavor rule out success? Never mind.) When David is listening to the news through his earphones at 2 a.m., I might protest that it’s “the middle of the night!” On the other hand, when I awake at 4 a.m. and announce quietly—he’s awake, too, you see; why does he pretend otherwise?—that I’ve given up on the idea of getting back to sleep, his sensibilities rise up in astonishment: “It’s the middle of the night!” All I can say is that I might as well be up and doing instead of lying in bed worrying about all that needs to be done. Also, life will feel more manageable after a cup of coffee.

Some things can be done in the MOTN without disturbing the partner still sleeping or courting sleep. Those would be, of course, quiet things, such as reading, writing, drinking coffee, going over a bank statement, doing laundry at the other end of the house, checking e-mail, writing a blog posting or reading someone else’s blog. Since this is our long-awaited day of departure for points south and farther south, I hadn’t planned to post for a while, but then a comment came in from someone with a blog I enjoy so much I want to share it. From the House of Edward features both books and dogs, along with poetry and music and musings on nature. “Right up my alley!” as our Spencer likes to say. So while David and Sarah stretch out their downtime this morning (the pooch is never in a hurry to get up as long as one of us is still in bed), I’m relaxing with Edward and his family. A railroad family, too, just like mine! Have lived “in a fantasy world?” My title for the memoir I’ll probably never write is “Reality Commuter”! One big difference between the House of Edward and our house is that Edward’s is decorated very tastefully, while ours is a messy hodge-podge on the edge of chaos. Luckily, in the virtual world, that kind of difference can be easily put aside.

Soon the long day's travel will begin. Good-bye, hills and woods and orchards! Be well until we return to you!

8 comments:

Raph G. Neckmann said...

Love those night photos!

The MOTN is one of my favourite times for creativity. It has a special feel, and the house makes such nice little cosy creaking noises one can't hear during the noisier day!

Unknown said...

J'aime beaucoup la dernière photo, c'est comme une peinture chinoise.

Anonymous said...

I can't remember ever experiencing the MOTN. Sleep is my best skill. But you and Ralph make it sound so special I may try to force myself awake tonight. In any case, I'll be thinking of you and David and Sarah on the road, noticing everything, delighting in the new....while we at home miss you.

Anonymous said...

I hope that your trip goes well. I'll go sit outside the bookstore once in a while. Big Steve

P. J. Grath said...

Hey, Big Steve! You others, too! We are encountering our second big blizzard of the trip--so far--with unusually cold temperatures predicted ahead for the South. Wouldn't you know it? Just as we'll be rolling (not marching) through Georgia, there may be a blizzard way down there.

I have finally, after many years of talking up the idea, begun my collection of "Child's Garden of Verse" versions. Also snagged (on sale at the new branch library here in Joliet) a nice complete Milton. As predicted, the book stacks are growing....

Neige, mon marie et moi nous cherchons toujours des tableaux chinois dans le paysage.

P. J. Grath said...

Eh bien, encore une faute--c'est mon mari. Moi, je suis son marie. My English spell-check keeps wanting to correct my French spelling to something it can recognize in English. How annoying of it!

Anonymous said...

The photos ARE beautiful! And 4:00 is NOT the MOTN. Dave and I just independently had this discussion tonight over dinner. I keep waking up at 3:00 a.m. and we agree that qualifies as MOTN -- which is I why I don't get up but just lie there fretting -- but on 4:00 is (just barely) tolerable as a legitimate time to get up and start the day if it comes to that.

P. J. Grath said...

Hi, Maiya. Your distinction between 3 and 4 a.m. makes sense to me, but three against one isn't going to change anyone's mind. David would rather sleep in the morning, but I hate to lose a minute of daylight. In fact, I decided that Sarah's last sortie this evening would be an early one, as I preferred to get cozy and stay inside, even though it will mean getting dressed and out in the cold earlier in the morning.