Search This Blog

Monday, October 22, 2007

Authors in Northport

This Saturday Erin Hartman will be reading at Dog Ears Books from her recently published HOPE FOR CARSONVILLE: A DAUGHTER'S MEMOIR, and I’ve been thinking about the high-quality “first” books we’ve been able to introduce this year in Northport. Sigrid von Bremen Thomas kicked it off with GOODBYE STALIN; then came Joe Borri with his wonderful EIGHT DOGS NAMED JACK AND OTHER STORIES; next we had Dorene O’Brien and her book of short story gems, VOICES OF THE LOST AND FOUND; and now, finally, comes the inimitable HOPE FOR CARSONVILLE.

None of these writers had had a book published before, so in each case there had to be something special that said to a publisher, “This is worth investing in. There’s something new and wonderful here.” I read two of these books in manuscript and have some idea how long that stretch of time between submission and published book must have felt to their authors. I have not experienced first-hand the thrill of holding my own book in my hands. I have not felt the anxiety or anticipation of having my own book signing, giving a reading, making a public appearance as an author. My great privilege as an editor and as a bookseller, however, is to have a part in introducing deserving books to waiting readers.

There was a fifth book and author at Dog Ears this past summer. Our friend and lawyer from Suttons Bay, Stuart Hollander, was on hand for the Grand Opening of the Painted Horse Gallery and the new Dog Ears digs, signing his informative SAVING THE FAMILY COTTAGE. That was July 13. We lost Stu, suddenly and unexpectedly, in August. He left us too soon. His book was one of the best-sellers of the season and continues in popularity.

I’m very proud to offer these books in Northport. Working with authors is one of the many pleasures of the road I have chosen in life.

2 comments:

Joe Borri said...

Pamela,
Thank you for your thoughtful comments. As one of the authors who benefitted greatly from your involvement, it should be noted that without people like yourself, that is, those with some knowing of how the publishing world works, and are true editors and readers, first-time authors like me face an even more daunting road. Where my writing was concerned, your active listening to my numerous questions about the process, stories, etc., were beyond inspiring. When someome like you, a professional and also just a lover of books, takes the time to read one's work, comment on it with constructive advice and then offers a sense that the words are connecting with them, well it makes all the difference in the world. In my own case, writing late into the morning hours while raising four kids and working my main job, it was the difference between packing it all in and forging onward. And I'm proud to say that Dog Ears was the start of my nascent writing career. If I'm not blessed to be able to have another book picked up and published, I can say that I met wonderful people along the way on this one, and folks like you among them. Wishing I were up north,
Sincerely,
Joe Borri

P. J. Grath said...

Joe, you are more than welcome Up North any time, and I do hope you'll come to Dog Ears Books again. Next summer, maybe? I know you'll have written more stories by then, and I want to be among the first to read them. It means as much to me as it does to you, so thanks yourself!
pj