Search This Blog

Monday, February 11, 2013

Where Is Benjamin Busch These Days?


It's been three years since Ben appeared on my radar. First came discovery. Then eager anticipation. Finally, reality. For the sake of accuracy, perhaps I should note that Ben preceded his book, when I invited him up before it was even finished to have a conversation in the bookstore with essayist Anne-Marie Oomen in front of a fascinated public. That was when he still had his ponytail. But I digress. 

It's hard to keep track of such an active, creative person as Benjamin Busch. If he isn't making a movie or taking it around to film festivals or exhibiting photographs, he's on a book tour, so I guess my subject heading today was kind of misleading, because I don't know exactly where he is this month. I do know that Dust to Dust was named one of the Top 5 memoirs of 2012 by Library Journal, has been named a Michigan Notable Book for 2013, and received the 2013 GLCA Award for Nonfiction. If you have yet to make the acquaintance of this very memorable, beautifully written memoir, please visit Dog Ears Books and let me introduce you soon. You won’t be sorry.

Take a close look at that Michigan Notable Book list, and you'll also see Michigan authors,  Jeff Vande Zande and  Laurie Sommers, visiting authors at Dog Ears Books now receiving state-wide recognition. Northport is almost at the end of the road, but we don't take a literary back seat. 


3 comments:

Kathy said...

I have not heard of Benjamin Busch before. Unless, of course, I have and have forgotten. That often happens. He sounds like a very creative and busy person.

Dawn said...

Excellent! So good to see our authors getting the recognition they deserve.

P. J. Grath said...

I couldn't agree with you more, Dawn.

Kathy, if you follow the links in my post, you'll see Benjamin Busch news going back--I think it's three years since I first read his essay in MQR!