Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Here, Now


Boring "technical difficulties” have plagued me lately, hence the long stretches between postings. All else goes forward, however.

Read Robert Underhill’s new mystery, CATHEAD BAY since last post. It's sure to be one of the season’s top-selling Leelanau novels, bringing back characters from STRAWBERRY MOON as well a New York City cast and finale in sunny Italy.

The first asparagus is in, along with the elusive and secretive morels. (I manage to find Jack-in-the-pulpit and rely on friends to bring me edibles from the plant world.)





Downtown Northport streets are PAVED, following sewer construction! No more Wild West dust storms!

Spring has been lovely. The colors of the new leaves are so varied, from yellowish poplar to chartreuse willow through all manner of russet and rust and bronze, autumn tones prefigured in the first appearance of foliage, the end in the beginning. The book I finished last night was LIVING AT THE END OF TIME, by John Hanson Mitchell. It's good, while reading such books, to stop for my own walks through orchard, meadow and forest. To be here, now.

4 comments:

dmarks said...

"No more Wild West dust storms!"

It had to be done. At least before it went on too long, and eventually you'd sight Wyatt Earp walking up and down the streets looking for barrels and horse-troughs to hide behind for upcoming gunfights.

P. J. Grath said...

Horses up and down the streets, I wouldn't mind....

Anonymous said...

I dunno - I just got through cleaning up after two smallish dogs. Horses I might mind . . .

Loved the trees and the reminder to be here now. I've been living in a cave working on two projects at one time - and living in my head. Time to go outside!

P. J. Grath said...

I'd pick up after the horses--good for compost, and the aroma is wonderful, in my humble opinion. By the way, fresh cow manure: open a jar of Instant Lipton Ice Tea and take a whiff. Same smell! I want to be outdoors tonight!!!!