Search This Blog

Thursday, August 31, 2023

Again, September

Once, we were there....
 

Not at all like a thief in the night but perceptibly, on Monday evening, August 21st, a good week and a half before the calendar announced ‘September’ to us, the season turned the corner. Already there had been blackberries fermenting on the stem, wafting their sickly, drunken perfume abroad, and goldenrod putting forth its brilliant pyrotechnical displays, but that Monday evening, as friends and I were finishing up the pizza they’d brought for dinner, which we’d been enjoying outdoors in the shade of black walnut and basswood trees, all at once the temperature dropped and we agreed to have dessert on the porch. The calendar didn't say so yet, but September had come. 


U.P. "home away from home" in the old days


Bessie and Heidi


Superior Hotel, Grand Marais


September used to be the time the Artist and I would take a break after our summer in the public eye – my bookstore, his gallery -- and drive up to the U.P. for a few days on Lake Superior or, the last couple of years, over to Lake Huron, where his grandfather had farmed long ago. All traces of the old farm are gone, but we hunted out his grandparents’ graves in a little country cemetery and one time ran into one of his shirttail cousins having breakfast at a lakeside diner...






... and we ventured down to the tiny crossroads of Glennie and little Vaughn Lake, where his parents had rented a cottage for a few years and for a while owned a lot that David fondly imagined, as he, a boy, cleared away popple trees with his little axe, would be his someday. When a neighbor on the lake became more than a little nutty, however, his father sold the lot. 


“Tell me a story about when you were a little boy in Detroit,” I would say when nighttime found us both sleepless. “Or the time you buried the chartreuse bop cap [his most regretted fashion faux pas] at Vaughn Lake.” Sometimes he would protest, “Oh, you know all my stories,” but I could prime the pump and weasel him into a storytelling mood every time. He was, as all friends and family will attest, a wonderful storyteller. I only wish I had recorded some of those sessions, because he was never interested in writing them down. He sometimes made brief notes for stories but never went further. Maybe, though, record his storytelling would have put a crimp in his style, and I need to be content with the memory of our intimacy and not yearn for wordy details….




I’ve been reading a very dreamy book, Pamela Petro’s The Long Field: Wales and the Presence of Absence, a Memoir. I live daily with "presence of absence” since the Artist died, but the idea she describes of having more than one sense of “home” is familiar, too, and has been since David and I went out West and I encountered and fell unexpectedly in love with mountains. Oh, and then there was Paris – and the Auvergne! I recommend the Petro book to all dreamers, but for now I ask you at least to follow this link for an introduction to the Welsh concepts of hiraeth and hwyl.

 

I did not grow up in the place where I was born, and the place where I grew up is one I longed to leave all through my childhood and youth. I love France, and I truly love Cochise County, Arizona. But Midwest, mountainless, English-speaking, Great Lakes-surrounded Michigan is my home, mon chez moi, and I cannot imagine giving it up. My own life stories are here.


Here, where every mile holds memories

 

A third echo my own life finds in The Long Field is the author’s love of stones, of rock. She writes not only of mountains but also of megaliths, rocks made to stand upright by ancient humans for reasons lost to time. The mystery of them.

 

We know we can’t live forever, but stones can, almost. Right up to the threshold of immortality. So we prop them up and carve them. We make cairns and temples and snuff bottles. Sometimes we shape them to look like us. 

 

I wonder if she has ever read David Leveson (whose name I see I spelled wrong in this old blog post). Stones, rocks, mountains – their “innocence” (as Leveson sees them) and their vast age (Petro’s focus) as compared to our own brief lives combine to make them endlessly fascinating – to those of us fascinated by them, I suppose. Perhaps others are left unmoved. Probably. Chacun à son gout, said the old lady as she kissed the pig.


Hiking Arizona rocks with a neighbor

September, though – ah, September! No more going back to school for me, either as student or teacher, and no more rambles with my love in our familiar home-away-from home, Grand Marais, with its hollyhock-lined, grass-carpeted alleys. (Here was our getaway in 2015, and another the following year.) The haunting music of the song “September When It Comes,” by Johnny and Rosanne Cash, fills me with hiraeth and the bittersweet, unquenchable longing evoked by the presence of absence.

 

On a lighter note, if you’re in Ohio and you visit these people, tell them Dog Ears Books sent you. They came to Northport and visited Dog Ears Books on August 29, 2023. 








7 comments:

Anonymous said...


As imperceptibly as Grief
Emily Dickinson

As imperceptibly as Grief
The Summer lapsed away—
Too imperceptible at last
To seem like Perfidy—
A Quietness distilled
As Twilight long begun,
Or Nature spending with herself
Sequestered Afternoon—
The Dusk drew earlier in—
The Morning foreign shone—
A courteous, yet harrowing Grace,
As Guest, that would be gone—
And thus, without a Wing
Or service of a Keel
Our Summer made her light escape
Into the Beautiful.

Dawn said...

September has always felt melancholy, even as I welcome the cooler temperatures and the vivid colors.

Karen Casebeer said...

For me, September has always meant a return to school, either as a student or teacher. Even after thirty years away from teaching (can that be so??), I feel sad as September approaches. Beautiful blog, Pamela. Your writing is so poignant. And as I look at the weather report for the weekend, I think August is doing a quick return.

P. J. Grath said...

Thank you all -- Heather, Dawn, Karen -- for leaving comments. I never used to see autumn in general or September in particular as a poignant time. It was more a new beginning with the return to school or, later, time for a fun vacation. We made our trip to France in September 2000, and it was like "glorious summer," as Shakespeare would have said (did say, in another context). Now, of course, life is different, and I feel what Susan Cain calls the bittersweetness of the change in seasons. I do, however, have my very active pup to keep me on my toes and get me outdoors every day, and that's very good.

Jeanie Furlan said...

I loved September because as a teacher I looked forward to seeing the students. They were English Language Learner students, ELLs, and I enjoyed meeting them and their families. Then my best friend, a theater teacher, and I would plan and put on musicals, early on, we started with 6th grade plays and musicals, then after several years when I was at the high school, we put on full blown big classic ones like “The Music Man” and “My Favorite Year” which is mostly unknown, but a marvelous story. So the fall was a beginning and I felt I would have new connections and new experiences, which was OK by me. My last 10 years at the high school, I accompanied most of the choruses, and we often traveled. Another reason I liked September: new music to learn and teach (I taught the sections) and it was just great.

Jeanie Furlan said...

Oh Pamela! I was so moved seeing the graves of David’s grandparents. How amazing that you were able to find them. I’ve seen old tombstones, roaming New England towns one sees them often, but these from his past seem to have been perhaps not so easy to find. There must be registry locations, perhaps a church, that has records, I’m thinking, where you can trace past generations. Your county-road photographs are so…full of emotion, or just full, maybe. They seem to show us a multilayered view of what that road is. It is a joy to look at the details of these places you stop to photograph. The close-ups with bursting contrasts of colors and the wide, sighing, whooshing fields of all shades of green, they are so satisfying, so settling: “Yes, nature is sure beautiful and amazing.” Thank you so much for showing us these photos!

P. J. Grath said...

All those years of students sound marvelous, Jeanie, because I can easily imagine the enthusiasm and joy you brought to them and drew from them.

The graves were hard to find the first time, but easy when we went back again. There is a large upright with the family name, too, though I did not include that photo.

I have loved cemeteries since adolescence and have visited many, near home and on my travels. They speak to me of people once alive, and I find a sort of peace among them.