Search This Blog

Saturday, February 12, 2022

Upheavals! It is impossible to keep ahead of them!

No simple, easy way forward


Remember a recent post which I titled “Much Too Much (Happening)”? Every time we think we are done with crises and drama, something else comes down the pike, and so it was that the Artist found himself once again in the Emergency unit of Northern Cochise Community Hospital, this time diagnosed with COVID-19. Mind you, both of us are triple-vaxxed and have been crowd-wary for what seems like forever! 

 

COVID is no joke. Feeling as if you can’t breathe is a terrible feeling. He thought he was having either a heart attack or a panic attack (and was naturally panicked at the possibility of a heart attack). Then came the diagnosis. We were stunned. Really??? 

 

The day before, I had gone to visit a litter of puppies and see if the one whose looks we liked also had the kind of temperament we hoped to find, and everything seemed good, so I put down a deposit. Then --! Well, I wasn’t even going to say the word ‘puppy’ in the conversations we were having through the hospital window, talking on our cell phones with David inside and me outside shivering in the shade, but he brought it up himself. He’d been looking at pictures of her, admiring her cuteness, and thought we should go ahead. Really???


Picture I saw online

The Artist had another issue besides COVID and so, beds being scarce everywhere and NCCH not having much besides the most basic care (and maybe you know, too, that Cochise County turned down COVID relief?), he was transferred once again to the Phoenix area, this time to Chandler Regional Hospital, with surgery scheduled for next week. He is doing well, blood oxygen levels steadily improving, such that his need for supplemental oxygen has gone from 6L to 1.5, a significant change for the better. Sometimes he sits up in a chair with no extra oxygen at all. He’s having brief physical therapy sessions, too: they are not letting him lie around to risk pneumonia! 

 

I made the 400-mile round trip on Wednesday and suited up like a spaceman to be allowed in his room so we could have 20 minutes together, and we both thought the time together was well worth the travel. The next morning, on the phone, he said, “Get the puppy. Play with the puppy. Read books. Take a break! You can come again to pick me up when I’m discharged.” Really???

 

On the one hand, it seems crazy, both the not-being-there (if only to hover in the geographical vicinity and fret) and the puppy-getting. On the other hand, what hasn’t been crazy lately in our lives? And now that the Artist’s breathing problems are being addressed, he is looking forward once again to the future – to making beautiful paintings, getting back to making sculpture, and to having a little canine companion with us once again. Since December, our life has been a steady (though rollercoasterish) series of upheavals, emotional and medical, one crisis after another. We are more than ready to share some happy times again, and those seem to be – we certainly hope! -- coming closer with each passing day. 

 

The puppy was given the name Juliet by the woman who owns her parents. A good name, but I wanted to add to it, and so she will be our Sunny Juliet. 

 

What light through yonder window breaks? 

It is the East, and Juliet is the sun!

 

That was my first thought, and right on its heels came another: “Yesterday my life was filled with rain….” Yes, the hit song recorded by Marvin Gaye. When I told a friend about this, her response was immediate: “She will ease the pain!” Sunny!


7 weeks old


I asked the Artist if we would ever love another dog as much as we loved Peasy or Sarah (he thinks that won’t be a problem, but I’m not sure), and then I asked him what Peasy would think of our having another dog. His response was that Sunny will be our “dog of atonement.” My sister (bless her heart!) did not like the sound of that. She feels we did a wonderful job with Peasy and don’t have to atone for anything. Okay, maybe not rationally. I’m pretty sure most people would say we made the right decision about Pea and have “nothing to regret.” But emotionally? It’s not that easy. 

 

Here’s what we want now: We want to give Sunny the kind of life Sarah had, the life we would have given Peasy if only it had been possible … a life where nothing bad ever happens to her … a life in which she is sheltered and feels secure and knows herself to be loved … a life in which she meets and makes new friends every day … a life of play and adventure but never want or fear … the kind of life every dog deserves to have … the life our Peasy should have had, right from the beginning.

 

I heard on the radio today that Daniel Pink has a new book called The Power of Regret. Rather than chiding readers over feeling regret, Pink looks at the emotion in terms of its positive value. His subtitle is How Looking Backward Moves Us Forward. And that’s our idea with Sunny, our dog of atonement: going forward together into the happiest tomorrow we can create together, helped by the regret we feel over poor little Pea.


Eight weeks old


But my main message today is not about dogsIt's this: If you are not vaccinated against COVID, get vaccinated! Without those three doses we got, I would be sick, too, and the Artist would be much sicker than he is. (I don’t even want to think about how awful that could have been!) For us, these frightening medical separations have only underlined what we already knew, which is that we need each other and belong together. And that we are not ready to leave this beautiful earth!

 

One more thought. Whenever life’s various challenges start getting me down -- the kind of challenges you never want to have in the first place, but there they are, and there’s nothing to do but deal with them – I turn to Ellen Airgood’s first novel, South of Superior. The protagonist Madeline’s expectations, the anger she carries and judgments she makes against others all come gradually face to face with the reality of life Up North. For instance,

 

Madeline looks woeful. “Nothing’s the way I expected, now.” 

 

“Ha,” Mary said. She didn’t mean to laugh at the girl but if that wasn’t the story of life, nothing was.

 

Then farther down the same page, we catch an important glimpse into Mary Feather’s life and thoughts:

 

…Mary gave a piercing whistle that brought Jack running and put a hand on his head. Much as she’d groused to John Fitzgerald, the truth was that a dog was a good thing to have. A dog steadied you. Just the smell of a dog, the feel of its fur, the way a dog lived, up front and simple. She stared at her feet. And then she said, “What you have to do here, you have to accept. You have to – lay down before the way things are.”

 

I don’t know. Maybe these two passages, if you haven’t read the book, will seem completely random. (So read the book, already!) The thing is, I could have chosen from a couple hundred other passages, because my point here is that Madeline’s story steadies me. It helps me to accept the way things are -- and at the same time it strengthens my resolve to do what I can to make things better. I take a deep breath and call on all my sisu. I see also, in this latest of many readings of South of Superior, that one of its messages is one of the messages also to be found in The Little Prince. But I’m not here to preach, so read both books yourself, and you’ll see what I mean.


Thanks for reading my blog post today.

 


Thank you again and again, Ellen!

13 comments:

Dawn said...

Huge hugs. I will be thinking of David, and of you and Sunny, and of Peasy and Sarah too.

P. J. Grath said...

Thank you, Dawn. Sunny had a much easier night last night, which means I did, too, and I'm hoping that when David calls he will have another positive report to share, also. -- Though his first question now is usually, "How's the girl?" meaning Sunny! She is already our sunshine.

Julia Brabenec said...

“ You are my Sunshine, my only Sunshine. You make me happy when skies are grey…”.
Remember that old song we've all sung so often? So simple and true. Keep the faith, dear friends.
💜 Julia

P. J. Grath said...

Sunshine! Already, Julia, one of the nicknames I find myself using for her. David is eager to come home to us, and I am eager for the three of us to be together. I also found myself calling her Sunny Delight not long ago. Does that sound commercial? I don't mean it that way! "You'll never know, dear/how much I love you...."

Jeanie Furlan said...

OH! How I love the name “Sunshine” for your new furry girl! And how I LOVE that old song having sung it in harmony with my oldest sister - we were good at that! It fits your new little tri-colored girl, so pretty and happy to be with you! David seems already ready to be home and with you two - Yippee! “You’ll never know, dear, how much I love you..”. Reminds me of Peasy….fand now there’s 🎶 Sunshine!

Jeanie Furlan said...

I’ll be thinking of David next week as he through another procedure, but he seems in great hands and in great spirits: he’s quite decisive about this beautiful puppy and looking forward to coming home to meet the new 3-colored cutie! This Covid is no joke, so I’m glad to see his oxygen level is good. I just got a booster and had 24 hours of yuckyness, but I’m OK. It’s the 5th shot, so I’m ready for anything, plus having the ^%%#@!$%^&* infection 2 years ago! So glad to see that Omicron is treatable and quickly goes away. Have fun with your 🎶 Sunshine!!

P. J. Grath said...

Jeanie, you have no idea how often I have thought of that dark time when you and Antonio had COVID, and then I didn't hear anything for weeks and was SO worried -- until I got in touch with Julia, who assured me you were still among the living! David is fortunate in that, like Antonio, despite hospitalization he never needed the dreaded ventilator. We are a lucky QUARTET! (Tip o' the hat to our personal olden days, Bean!)

Harmony! My mother and sisters and I had regular songfests in the kitchen after dinner as we washed and dried dishes, put away leftovers, and scrubbed down the stove. "You haven't finished doing the dishes until you've wiped the stove," my mother had to tell us repeatedly, and we would sigh, but we did enjoy singing together. In that way, being in the kitchen was kind of like being on a long car trip -- time to entertain ourselves with music.

Karen Casebeer said...

Sunny is adorable! I’m so happy for you and David. I cannot image life without a dog. Gracie enriches my life so much, as Sarah and Peasy did too, and certainly Sunny will also. Hope David continues to heal from Covid and his new procedure goes well. Very excited for you.

Jeanie Furlan said...

I SO agree - us four in a Lucky Quartet! Whew! Thinking of David’s luck recently with the hospital and his doctor, too! On our walk today (summer has finally arrived: 82 degrees), we were counting our lucky stars in the bouts of sickness, always treatable and passing, that we have had in our “declining years”. Doncha love that phrase?! HARMONY! Kitchen duty in your place sounded lively and entertaining! We were alone doing the dishes; I wish I’d been in YOUR kitchen. Oh my….the stove! Must wash 🧽 that all clean, if not, back to the kitchen we went! HaHa! Thanks for the Tip o’ the Hat!!

Susan Och said...

Good job standing on deck and facing the storm! Take note that boosters last four months so be sure to ask the docs if you’ll need another.

P. J. Grath said...

Susan, that's good to know. Strange that no one mentioned the four months' effectiveness to us when we got a booster in -- December, I think it was. Need to look at that card again....

John Todd said...

So sorry to hear David Cameron’s dawn with Covid, inexplicable with triple vaccine but evidently it happens. Kim and I are in Ann Arbor while I go through a month of radiation treatments for prostate cancer. Being in the hospital daily I think I fear Covid more than the cancer.

Stay safe and alert on those commutes to Phoenix. Life can’t definitely dish out the curve balls. Best to David,

John Todd

P. J. Grath said...

John, even with all the professionalism, dedication, knowledge, and caring kindness on the part of hospital staff, a hospital is not a place anyone wants to be. Best wishes for the best possible outcome with your radiation treatments. I will relay your good wishes to David, and I know he shares mine to you.