Search This Blog

Friday, February 18, 2022

"Too Much," Part III

 

Sunny Juliet and her cuddly elephant

Another overly eventful week has passed in the life of the Artist and the seasonally retired bookseller, with continued hospitalization and another surgery for the Artist -- who is now well launched into what will be a slow, but we trust steady, recovery this time around -- and, for the bookseller, long hours of waiting for phone calls, taking care of the new puppy, and a couple of all-day expressway commutes to the Phoenix area and back to spend 20 or 30 minutes each time with my darling. With each visit to the hospital, I am struck by the essential and priceless importance of presence, the irreplaceable comfort of immediacy. Cell phones have helped immeasurably in the last couple of months, making conversations possible across distance, but there is no substitute for being side by side, holding hands, and looking into each other’s eyes. 

 

That’s pretty much all I’m going to say today, except for books I’ve read since the last time I listed titles. As you can see, I have spent a lot of my waiting time with reading. That and finding soothing lullaby music on my cell phone to help Sunny Juliet get to sleep at night in her crate. Last night we had cello lullabies, and I couldn’t even read a whole page before I was off to dreamland myself.

 

19. Scott, Ann Herbert. Cowboy Country (fiction – juv.). This is a book for children about the real life and work of cowboys, and the illustrations by Ted Lewin are just marvelous.


Beautiful images!


20. Morrison, Rusty. After Urgency (poems).

21. Airgood, Ellen. South of Superior (fiction).

22. Herman, Michelle. Dog (fiction).

23. Henkin. Joshua. Morningside Heights (fiction)

24. Felsen, Henry Gregor. Two and the Town (fiction - YA)

25. Collins, Billy. The Trouble with Poetry and Other Poems.

26. Singer, Isaac Bashevis. Passions (fiction)

 

Note #1: Two of the novels in this week’s list are books I have read before. Sometimes life’s unexpected curve balls make the comfort of familiar books necessary good medicine.  


Note #2: Overwhelming as life can be, it is still far, far from "too much," and the Artist and I look forward to more, together.


More of this beautiful life together, please!


9 comments:

Dawn said...

I hope each day brings more and more good news, and that your little Sunshine is settling in. And that the rest of your time out there is peaceful and quiet and uneventful.

P. J. Grath said...

Thanks, Dawn. Funny how appealing the idea of "uneventful" has become!

Ms. Davis said...

Hang tough. Stay hydrated. You have a lot on your plate.

P. J. Grath said...

Thank you, Ms. Davis. Staying hydrated is good advice in any crisis. I've found I can often ward off a summer migraine if I drink enough water.

Barbara Stark-Nemon said...

Sendng hugs... and as my Dad used to say ENOUGH ALREADY! I'm so sorry you're all having to go through all of this.

P. J. Grath said...

What I'm going through, secondhand, is nothing compared to David's experiences, starting back on Jan. 3 with the minor stroke. If only that had been the only thing! Virtual hugs gladly accepted and returned!

Jeanie Furlan said...

Whew! Lots going on, lots on your mind, and on your shoulders. No wonder you can’t keep your eyes open at night! I’ve sent healing vibes, good ones to David for weeks now, and I’m so glad to hear he is on the mend and will slowly get his mojo back in gear. Love the photo of you two and the others of David, serious and laughing! ❤️ Yes, real in-person touching and connecting is so, so meaningful. So right-feeling! 💕

P. J. Grath said...

Well, Jeanie, recovery turned out to be more difficult, because surgery turned out to be more complicated. Still, it means everything to me to be with him and hold his hand....

Jeanie Furlan said...

Oh, Pamela…my Good Vibes are still being sent, my thoughts focusing on getting his strength and energy back. I hope you can be with him often and give him your hand and your heart, full strength!