Search This Blog

Tuesday, February 8, 2022

Dear Fellow Bibliophiles

No, not really -- no one is there this winter. The bookstore is closed.


No, I am not there, in Northport, in my bookstore, pictured above in another year, when I was there. Now, in February of 2022, the Artist and I are still ensconced in our ghost town cabin in southeast Arizona, far from icy roads, snowed-in driveway, and snowy sidewalk to shovel in front of our places of business in the village. We have both spent a lot of winters in Michigan (many of them together), and I loved that exhilarating season -- below, for example, is puppy Sarah in the snow, shortly after we adopted her in January of 2008 -- but we are happy now to take life easier here in the Southwest, with sunshine warming our old bones. 


Sarah, January 2008


As long as I’m somewhere I want to be, though (which excludes places like hospital waiting rooms or expressway traffic jams), one of my aims is to be in that place as fully as possible. To be immersed, attentive, curious. Taking in as much as I can. It is for this reason that much of my reading during Arizona winters focuses on fiction, history, and memoirs set in this part of the country – the American West generally, Arizona and New Mexico more particularly, and especially Cochise County, Arizona. Away from Michigan, I buy books wherever I find them, but bookstores are fewer and farther between out here in the West. Other than one bookstore visit in Phoenix and another recently in Tucson, most of my finds are limited to the outlets available, Friends of the Library bookstores and thrift shops. I am a bookseller, but during the winter I am a bookseller in seasonal retirement, and selling is not foremost in my mind when I look at books. More often I’m thinking, Do I want to read that?

 

This is where I am

But after nearly three decades in the business, bookselling is in my blood, and it was for this reason that I ordered through Netflix (whether in Michigan or Arizona, we still get our movies on DVDs, old fogies that we are) a small film called “The Booksellers.” And as we watched it, I kept thinking of all my fellow bibliophiles – my bookseller colleagues, but others, too – who would be as crazy about this movie as I am. So many thoughts and opinions expressed that we all (booksellers, collectors, biblophiles) share! So many quotable lines and wonderful scenes! Our world!

 

“The Booksellers” is set in New York City. I have been fortunate enough to visit the Strand (only once) and have read about the three sisters who followed their father’s footsteps in the Argosy Bookshop. Most of the shops I've visited over the years selling used books have been elsewhere, however, all across the United States. If you know the used book world, it shouldn't surprise you that there are a few eccentrics featured in this film. Laughing with delight, I exclaimed out loud to the Artist, “These are my people!” 

 

Other than recommending the film to you, my other reason for writing this brief post today is to say that it has renewed my feeling of gratitude for my life's path, leading me into the world of bookselling. Other booksellers, readers, booklovers, customers, and the many wonderful authors I have been honored to meet in my line of work – all have made for a richly rewarding life. There is also the joy of simply spending days in my bookstore, surrounded by books, and never knowing what "new" old books are going to come my way next. 

 

I am a lucky woman. And I will be back in my shop come spring. Hope to see you there!




 

Books Read in 2022 since last I posted titles:

 

11. Jance, J. A. Judgment Call (fiction)

12. Barnard, Mary, trans. Sappho: A New Translation (poetry)

13. Hunger, Christina. How Stella Learned to Talk (nonfiction)

14. Miller, Susan Cummins. Hoodoo (fiction)

15. Teale, Edwin Way. North with the Spring (nonfiction)

16. Baker, Will. Mountain Blood (nonfiction)

17. St. Exupéry, Antoine. The Little Prince (fiction)

18. St. Exupéry, Antoine. Le Petit Prince (fiction)

7 comments:

Jeanie Furlan said...

OH, YES, Pamela!! I DO think you have been in the right career for all these decades! It is so delightful to see your joy in the work you chose to do in your life. Too often I hear the opposite. I feel that your input and influence with authors by editing, selling or writing about them has been wonderfully appreciated by us in your circle of book lovers. Many thanks! We’ve been to The Strand two times and it is a bit overwhelming, but amazing to see all the variety they offer. We have two bookstores near us in Brooklyn, and they’re small and quite captivating. Thanks for the “Booksellers” film suggestion. Puppy Sarah! How young and sweet she was in 2008!

Jeanie Furlan said...

Oh! Thanks for two The Little Prince websites! I didn’t know there was a Broadway show about that little Prince - but yes, we can definitely go and see it! It looks a bit Cirque du Soleil-ish! Fantastique ! And I DO want the Katherine Woods translation. It seems she “captured the same lyrical spirit of the age when it was written”. Sounds like a good one! Love these comments about the translations.

P. J. Grath said...

Glad I did that poking around and learned of the Broadway event. Maybe you will do a guest review for Books in Northport, Jeanie! That would be great!

Karen Casebeer said...

Well, isn’t this ironic? I just checked my Netflix account to add The Booksellers to My List, and it’s only available on DVD. I have a “streaming only” account so I’m missing out on this one. Ugh! Maybe I can find it elsewhere. Karen

P. J. Grath said...

Karen, we don't stream and get all our Netflix on DVD, but I just ordered a copy through Alibris. If you have a way to play DVDs, you can find one to buy -- or maybe suggest that your library buy a copy. Hey, that would be good, no?

Karen Casebeer said...

It would be great if I had a dvd player, but when I downsized greatly from my Northport house to my TC condo, the dvd player got donated along with the stereo system and a lot of other big electronics. I’ve found The Bookseller on another streaming site and look forward to seeing it.

P. J. Grath said...

Whoever would have guessed that the DVD player would -- so quickly! -- go the way of the turntable! And yet, fossils that we are, the Artist and I still have both. Since we did away with television years ago, we have enjoyed picking up used DVDs, along with used books, as well as ordering classics and new releases through Netflix. In any event, Im glad you found a way to see "The Booksellers."