Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Competition? What Competition?

This coming week, beginning on Sunday, April 8, is National Library Week. Some people see bookstores and libraries as competitors. Libraries and bookstores both begin with books, it’s true, and the two institutions serve some overlapping needs and demands, but there are important differences. I had it in mind to write more about the differences, but somehow my inspiration fled. Lucky you!

The important points are next week’s recognition of libraries and, in Northport, a celebratory evening Wednesday, April 11, from 6 to 8 p.m. It’s a poetry and soup evening, so bring poems to share and your favorite soup mug. There’s also a special Robert Burns connection, which makes me doubly sorry I’ll be out of town and will miss the fun. I would have loved another chance to perform an interpretive reading, in Scottish dialect, of “To a Mouse,” my favorite Burns poem.

P.S. If anyone thinks I’m kidding about bookstores and libraries not being competitors, I’d like to say that our local librarian and at least three Friends of the Library members attended my recent author event and bought signed copies of the author’s book. Also, I have been working with the FOL committee to help put together this summer’s author series at the library. In a place as small as Northport, we all have to work together so that all may swim and none may sink.

P.P.S. Dog Ears Books will be closed today, Wednesday, April 4. The Leelanau Township Library opens at 3:30 p.m. on Wednesdays and is open until 8 p.m. Tomorrow both bookstore and library will be open morning and afternoon.


4 comments:

Dawn said...

Never considered bookstores and libraries as competitors...we always worked hand in hand on so many events when I worked at the library - at least in Ann Arbor. Often I'd check a book out of the library to determine if I wanted to own it. Especially cook books. And many many people used libraries for lots of things aside from the books...so all in all I think there's room for everyone.

P. J. Grath said...

That's pretty much how I see it, Dawn. And I'm a liberal--I believe in public education and public libraries.

Kathy said...

Thank goodness for libraries. I am only sad that Marquette Public Library recently closed their doors to intra-library loan. :( I did love visiting Peter White Library.

P. J. Grath said...

Kathy, do you not have MELCAT? From Northport we can get any book in any public library system in Michigan. Very cool indeed.