Search This Blog

Thursday, September 11, 2008

Around Town and On the Beach

There’s a lot going on around the village today. Students from Northport School’s yearbook class, under the guidance art teacher Jenny Evans but on their own for this phase of business, were out drumming up advertising for the yearbook. Could anyone even try to resist Anna and Christina? The girls were thrilled to have Dog Ears Books sign up for a full-page ad and willingly posed for a picture. Go, Wildcats! By the way, Homecoming this year is on September 27.

Over on Mill Street, the Willowbrook remodeling is going full steam ahead, and by dint of an extra dog walk I was lucky enough to catch these guys raising a new wall. They weren’t posing, either. In cases like this, timing is everything. My old garden on Nagonaba Street, between Nature Gems (on the corner) and Dolls and More, has gotten some attention lately. Someone took out the old rose of Sharon that died a year ago, I was happy to see, and the big purple asters, so showy this time of year, are obviously doing well.

Out in the wild, along roadsides and in old meadows, asters are blooming, too. To treat myself as well as my dog, I closed up shop early yesterday and took Sarah for a little birthday trip down to Sleeping Bear territory, where she had her first swim in Lake Michigan. You’d think she’d been swimming all her life. Water and sun were warm, crowds nonexistent, breeze glorious. We need to do this kind of thing more often.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is a great post - you say guys raising a wall, I say a dance sequence from one of your better Broadway musicals.

I believe the Cowboy has learned to read by paying attention to this blog. This morning he finished staring at the screen, then turned his gaze on me. I gather that he, too, would like to go for a walk at Sleeping Bear. (Unclear on the concept, he wishes to see the bear, but only if it remains asleep.)

P. J. Grath said...

It does look like something happening on stage, doesn't it? I couldn't believe I arrived at just that magic moment.

Bear, bear? We don't wanna see no bear--not up close and personal, anyway. But better a bear than a cougar. Something tells me the bear would be shyer and would take off faster.