Search This Blog

Monday, September 29, 2008

A Few Lines, Three Images

It's Monday, Monday. Rainy (if not stormy) Monday. Can't trust that day. It is, however, happily for me, a day when Bruce usually opens the bookstore, so I can be more relaxed about beginning my day.

I'm still working my way through THE PROMISES MEN LIVE BY, Harry Scherman’s 1938 book on economics that the whole country should be reading right now. Not understanding economics is no longer an option, either for presidential candidates or for the public at large. But this book and today’s to-do list will keep me too busy to write a long, reflective essay. Instead, here are three recent scenes my camera caught. All require a little background explanation.

Recently we saw a television program on prehistoric sites in the British Isles. One set of stones, in the Hebrides, had as its focus a landform known locally as the “Sleeping Woman.” The two images below are my own “Sleeping Woman,” right here in Leelanau Township.



And in the interest of documenting history, here is a shot from this month of the little shed down the street where Dog Ears Books was born in 1993. It would be difficult to get in the door at present, but we got off to a good start in that simple place. Five hundred dollars was the rent for the season, June through October, electricity included. There was no insulation, no heat, no A/C, no telephone, no plumbing—no, no, no! Life was simple then! There were, happily for us, people who came and bought books. Bless you!

No comments: