Search This Blog

Sunday, March 24, 2024

I Never Trust an East Wind

Strange sky on Sunday morning

The weather forecast for Sunday morning was for a couple hours of rain or snow, but the east wind was a monkey wrench thrown in that prediction. No way we would have rain, with air as cold as it was, the little no-name creek frozen to silence again except for the miniature waterfall section. Sunrise had no warmth to it, either. Were those grey clouds in the north moving our way? No, they seemed at a standstill, sun and wind pouring between two completely different sets of clouds. But then, an east wind always makes for strange weather.

 

Now it’s spring break. – Not for me, but for many. Northport School is closed. New Bohemian CafĂ© is closed all week, too, as are Fischer’s Happy Hour Tavern, 9 Bean Rows, and heaven knows how many other purveyors of food and coffee, so those of us staying behind in Leelanau will have to be resourceful to get through the remainder of March. Don’t we always, though? One way or another….

 

Several people have asked if I found it worthwhile to have the bookstore open all winter. Since it wasn’t my first bookstore winter, I knew what to expect, and that did not involve crowds of book buyers carrying out piles of treasures! A few bibliophiles now and then were grateful, however, to find the shop open, and several large inventory intakes kept me busy pricing and shelving and rearranging whole subject areas, which means I’ll be well stocked when “the season” arrives.


Young people on left, classics on right

Older children's books, YA, and school readers


Then, too, I’ve been keeping my weeks and days short: Wed.-Sat., 11-3. It only makes sense. Projects at home, not to mention work and play with Sunny Juliet (mostly play), are more important than looking out at empty downtown streets until 5 p.m.




Now, though, Northport is moving toward establishing a “social district,” which is apparently (and I didn’t know this before) a term for official sanction to take alcoholic beverages from restaurants and bars out onto the sidewalk and into the parks. I haven’t taken a position pro or con on the plan and won’t be taking one, as younger generations are driving now. They’re putting in a lot of time and energy, and it’s their turn, while my business and I are Old School and will never be anything different, so I’ll just watch and report from the sidelines. 



And a week from now it will be time for me to post my “Books Read” for the month of March. Will I finish that very philosophical nonfiction book in time to include it, or will I continue to be pulled off-task by one novel after another, currently The Piano Tuner, by Daniel Mason. And will the piano tuner ever reach Burma? I’m beginning to wonder, and the only way to find out is to keep reading. (Juleen, I know you've already read the book, but don't tell me what happens!) Sunny Juliet had a bath this morning, so we will be spending the day indoors, and I should have time for quite a bit of reading, letting that strange east wind do what and as it will.


What a clean dog girl!


Closing note about one of those projects at home: A metal frame table with wood surface has been my “desk” in the office but in a few weeks will be put into service as a seedling nursery, and I’ll move desk work to the actual desk. The table, covered with Con-Tact paper in the past, seemed ready and willing to give up that covering, so with putty knife and fingers I started stripping it down. 


Looking a little shabby

Stripping it down....

Then the table’s identity suddenly came clear to me: It was the table from the houseboat! David’s homemade houseboat, moored for years on the Leland River, just upstream from the Riverside Inn. I got out photos, and yes, there it was. 


The same table

Houseboat and rowing skiff on the Leland River

So now even those discolored rings revealed on the surface are dear to me. Recover it? Paint it? don't think so. Like Harlan and Anna Hubbard, continuing their "shantyboat life" on the banks of the Ohio in their new house, I will keep my past close going into the future, whatever the future brings.




7 comments:

Karen Casebeer said...

So much here, and it's all wonderful! You are such a great writer and thinker, Pamela. Think you should put out a book on your favorite blogs.

P. J. Grath said...

Karen, I have two immediate responses to your comment, both kind of funny (at least to me). First, this post was pretty much thrown together, and sometimes I notice those work better than posts I work on for days. The other thing is that I had one topic I intended to work in -- really, it was my sole inspiration before I began writing -- and I completely forgot to include it at all.

Anonymous said...

Wow there is a reason for this

Anonymous said...

For me, the feelings and images along the way came as a prose poem, so the whole of it is there and didn’t veer off. Only expanded it. Thanks, Pam.

P. J. Grath said...

You are too kind -- but very welcome. Thank you.

Jeanie Furlan said...

Look at your table! It is wonderful to think of you sitting there, able to run your hands over coffee-cup rings and itty bitty dings on the surface, remembering David and your past together. I love your phrases when describing places, things or thoughts: „…letting that strange east wind do what and as it will“. Your opening photo of the sky…is breath-taking! Strange or not, I love it - Thank you!!

P. J. Grath said...

Dear Jeanie, you are always so welcome -- and I am always so happy to see a new comment from you, too! Ah, yes, it was such a strange sky that morning. I'm afraid my photo doesn't entirely capture the scope, the path of blue between stormy north and happy-looking south so dramatically different....

("Grownups don't use ellipses," said Jim Harrison, and I think of him every time I use an ellipsis.)