Search This Blog

Friday, October 6, 2023

Please forgive me for going on and on about this.

Call this a spoonful of sugar.
 

Someone who read my previous blog post said that current political conflicts are nothing new and that they are “nothing that a simple healing patch of behavior can end.” Whoever suggested the divisions in our country could be ended with a Bandaid? Not I. There is no magic pill or, God forbid, silver bullet, either.

 

The hate-filled divisions are real and heartbreaking. The cruelty is heartbreaking. And yes, the seeds of division and hate have always been there, from the beginning of our history, and – let’s admit it – there is no way for all Americans to come together completely and permanently



Storm clouds!

Where does that leave us, though? Having faced that reality, what are our choices? What do we do now? 

 

- Continue to scream at each other and escalate the domestic arms race – until what happens? 

 

- Or give up and retreat into bitterness, each of us, for the rest of our lives? 

 

Please forgive me if I reject those as viable options. 

 

Let’s me make the question personal for myself. Who am I going to be for the remainder of my life on earth? Do I want, while alive, to add to the world’s storehouse of love or to its arsenal of hate? Will I be grateful for my life or choose to be miserable and blame my misery on evolution and world history? Take the most selfish view possible, if you like: As far as I see, it points in the same direction as altruism. 


Both sides now --


This morning (still dark, these long mornings of autumn’s waning daylight, and I am in the autumn of my life, too, my time growing ever shorter), it occurred to me that America’s present crisis is deepened, if not entirely driven, by grief. We have all experienced loss, and it hurts, and we don’t know what to do with that pain. Readers of this blog, as well as my close friends, know that personal grief has been with me for a while now. Grief. Shock. Paralysis. Disbelief. Mourning. Life torn apart, never again to be a shining whole, the companion of my days and nights forever gone. 


“He was my North, my South, my East and West,” wrote the poet Auden in his own grief. He ends his poem with, “For nothing now can ever come to any good.” Is that what you feel about your country? The world? Your life? 

 

(Had Auden been wrong, as he writes in this poem, to think that love would last forever? What do you think?)

 

For myself, I can’t afford to let myself feel that “nothing now can ever come to any good.” Two seven-year-old boys, great-grandsons of the man I loved, are at the beginning of their lives, as are so many little children whose lives are only now beginning. It’s too big a job, yes – I can’t control the course of the future, true – but I can’t give up and crawl into a hole and die, either.


I live in a beautiful place.


I realize that I am a lucky woman, spared the anger that many people suffer in the throes of grief. My husband was 85 years old and had followed his passion and found success as an artist. The beauty of his work lives on. The two of us had a second chance to make a rich life together, to make our dreams come true, even (priceless gift!) to grow old together. And at the end, we had time to say goodbye. So Fate spared me anger and resentment and gave me gratitude, and I am grateful to have had that through the grief his death brought. 

 

But despair? Heavens, yes! Grief goes on and on, and despair, while it doesn’t fill every hour, lurks around every corner, ready always (especially in those first, early, dark hours of morning) to jeer sarcastically, “What’s the point? Why bother? He is never coming back!” And that, my friends, is hard.

 

Like a wounded animal, I needed to be alone before I could face the world again, and I still need time alone even now, but already in those first weeks a demanding puppy did not allow me to stay in bed with my head under the covers, and once back in Michigan there was my bookstore to open, David’s gallery to arrange, grass to mow, the puppy to exercise and train. Looking back at May 2022 from October 2023, I see now that it was good for me not to have available the escape of total isolation.

 

Anger. Despair. Pain. What about exhaustion? Grief is exhausting. So much of life can be exhausting! The ongoing crisis mode of American politics is exhausting. So yes, we all need to take time out when we need to, when we can. 

 

And then? What?


Even under cloudy skies, with winter coming --

Whatever it takes. Whatever it takes not to give up, to keep living. Whatever it takes not to be cruel, not to be mean, not to seek revenge. A cat to feed, a dog to walk. Grass to mow, books to sell. Books and poems to read and write. Flowers and trees to plant and tend. Other people with their own griefs, who need an understanding listener as they struggle. Whatever it takes. One day, sometimes one hour at a time – which is the only way we ever truly live, anyway.

 

Not simple. Not easy. Often – let me say a challenge. (Let me say challenge rather than a struggle. Though either word is descriptive, I seek strength in choosing my words.) 

 

In every era, certain words get overused and lose their power in daily speech, but consider – amazing, awesome. The gift of life is one none of us had to earn. Human beings did not invent or build this glorious planet. Who, reflecting on the gift of life, can see it as anything less than amazing? Who, looking at the beauty and force and age of the universe, can see it as otherwise than awesome?


Unquenchable life!


Let me end today with an idea from my most-beloved philosopher, Henri Bergson. (Here is an interesting take on Bergson that I hadn’t read before but found congenial.) One of Bergson’s most basic and important insights was this: 

 

The “road ahead” (the future) is not there. 

We build our road as we travel through life.

 

My images today are from the world around me. Thanks for reading.


Always renewing.


9 comments:

Deborah said...

You do live in a beautiful place and I'm always happy to see your photos. This blog made me remember the Dr. Seuss book, The Butter Battle. Regardless of which way we butter our bread we need to learn to live together and respect each other. I can only do what I can do but it's up to me to do what I can when I can.

BB-Idaho said...

Well said. I try to be neither an optimist or a pessimist, but golly gee,
current times remind us of the internecine trauma of Lincoln's era. So divided are we that mutual discussion is like spitting into the wind and even families are torn by black is white and/or right is wrong. Kind of a peculiar situation
given that reality exists, whether in our minds or in neutral nature. How can our education distort our critical thinking, our perceptions of our history or understanding of the art> We were in the same classes. But thank you for your writing on politics, challenge, anger etc. Going on 83, we seniors
consider wisdom our forte and most of life a bit of a challenge, and we worry about next month or next year and hope for our youngsters and their youngsters. I feel better knowing that Lincoln did not have to deal with
the internet!!!

P. J. Grath said...

Deborah, I haven’t forgotten how you flew out to Phoenix and made the trip back to Dos Cabezas with me and helped me out with Sunny those first couple weeks of my life without David. Thank you again for that, sister! And no, we don’t want to get into endless tweetle beetle battles, do we? That gave me a laugh, thinking of that Dr. Seuss book.

Bob, I wonder if you would enjoy Iain McGilchrist’s books. Something tells me you would, so give him a try, eh? A little tangential to this discussion but related, of course, as anything human would be!

Thanks for commenting, both of you. It helps me to know I actually reached a few people.

Karen Casebeer said...

You have some stunning images here, Pamela.

Ruminating said...

Thank you, Pamela. SO true that life goes on, must go on, no matter the grief and pain and exhaustion. A new puppy, new grandchildren, new flowers, a new season following the old one. Horrifying daily news as our human race persists in making war and vilifying one another, but you have to have faith in something better. As a dear friend often said, "Just keep on keeping on." We have to live until we die and every day, every moment is precious.

P. J. Grath said...

Thanks, Karen. I think the first and last are my favorites. Originally I thought of putting them all on my photo blog, but then it occurred to me that this post could use a little sweetening.

P. J. Grath said...

Emita, my own faith is stronger when I act, too. In fact, it's when I feel most helpless that it's important for me to find something positive that I CAN do, and as little as it feels that any single person can do, those little bits have to add up, don't you think? -- Think? Or feel? I feel that truth.

P. J. Grath said...

Bob, just read your comment again and need to say, no, we did not all have the same classes in every part of the U.S. when we were in school. Read CONFEDERATES IN THE ATTIC.

P. J. Grath said...

I was just talking to a friend about how life does not get easier as one grows older. Or should I say, as one grows old? I also think of how lovely it must be to die peacefully at a time when the world around seems peaceful, also. Henri Bergson, the French philosopher I love so much, was very optimistic in his view of humanity, evolution, and history, even in the face of World War I, and yet he died during the Nazi occupation of Paris, and although he was already very ill, I can never help thinking that he died with (if not OF) a broken heart. Our little time upon the stage, eh? I so enjoyed your visit and talking with you in PERSON!!!