Search This Blog

Thursday, November 20, 2008

Goings-On About Town

Mac Thomas book signing, Sat., Nov. 22, 2-4 pm. This Saturday is an author event at Dog Ears Books, a visit and book signing featuring Northport’s own Grafton McCready “Mac” Thomas, and I could not be more thrilled with the coverage the Leelanau Enterprise gave us in this week’s paper. Mac is on the first page of the second section, two photographs (one mine--guess which one!) in color, with boxed text giving details of his bookstore appearance and a long interview article by Amy Hubbell continuing to an inside page. True to form, Mac has another letter to the editor in the first section of the paper this week, expressing thanks for local medical care. Oh, to be that sharp at 93 years of age!

Holiday Open House, Saturday, Dec. 6 until 8pm. Lisa Drummond came by the other day on Chamber business, and I believe I already mentioned the tree lighting on December 6. Today Stephanie of Funky Mama’s and I had a chance to confer and agree that we will do our holiday open house on the evening of the tree lighting. Stephanie is planning to be open until 9pm. I’m only committing to 8pm and hoping, as mentioned before, for milder weather than we had last year--the night David thought we wouldn’t make it home at all!

16th Annual Madrigal Christmas, Friday and Saturday, Dec. 5th & 6th, 7:30 pm. This beautiful event featuring the Leelanau Children’s Choir and Youth Ensemble will take place once again at the Northport Community Arts Center. Tickets are available at Dog Ears Books. Obviously, I’ll have to attend the Friday performance. We certainly wouldn’t miss it for the world!

I think the Christmas concert up at school is the following weekend but will check for sure on that.

Bruce was back at the helm yesterday, after two weeks in California. Who says northern Michigan does not exert a powerful magnetic force, even at this forbidding time of year? With Bruce at the bookstore, I had a chance to lunch with friend Sally Coohon of Dolls and More, and that also gave me a chance to hang out a while in her additional new space, where the old pharmacy used to be.



Sally’s yarns and fabrics and threads always look appealing and are especially so peeking out of the antique wooden drawers and shelves that furnish her classroom annex—or “The More Shop,” as she’s going to call it. “Some people don’t like dolls,” she admits. And it’s true, she has always had so much more than dolls!



Get a load of this beautiful new flannel fabric Sally just got in. PJ’s, anyone?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Northport seems like the very definition of the holidays--and the flannel makes me feel like sewing presents and decorations. I don't know how to sew, don't have a machine . . . but that fabric still calls me!

P. J. Grath said...

You and me bnth. I used to cry over the sewing machine when I was a girl (forced to it), but I love fabric.