Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 25, 2023

Don't Throw Out the Baby!

Summer is BUZZING!

I get a little nervous when I see articles about purging our lives of "too much stuff," especially when the "stuff" is books. How much would be lost from the world if “old” books were to disappear! Even among those published in my own lifetime (hardly ancient texts but all too easily discarded without a second thought), I find beautiful stories and important ideas still worth thinking over and through. One striking recent example is a Harper Colophon paperback from 1964, Daniel J. Boorstin’s The Image: A Guide to Pseudo-Events in AmericaLooking online for mention of this title, I see that I’m not the only one to find Boorstin’s 1960s thoughts pertinent in the 21stcentury: This short article from the Atlantic magazine, 2016, is definitely worth taking time to read, though beware – it may whet your appetite for the book! 

 

On one of my other blogs recently, I wrote of Bruce Catton’s Reflections on the Civil War, a book certain to interest readers of Catton’s many volumes on the Civil War.

 

Then a 20th-century feminist classic, Woman and Nature, by Susan Griffin, called to me to pick it up. Did I read Woman and Nature decades ago? (This is the new edition.) If so, how could I have forgotten it? Griffin takes us on a breathtaking, gender-focused guided tour through the history of science and society at large, relentlessly pressing forward and at the same time presenting each historical moment (and they tend to be quite gruesome) not only succinctly but also poetically.

 

Boorstin, Catton, Griffin -- these books written decades ago are all worth reading today, even if the item you happen upon, like my copy of Griffin's book, is a paperback with the glued binding so dried out that the pages come out one by one as you turn them.... 

 

Ah, but yes! New books? Lots of those worth reading, too, for every interest and every age group.








And tonight at 7 p.m. at the Willowbrook in Northport, Sarah Shoemaker (author of the acclaimed Mr. Rochester, the Jane Eyre story told from “the other side”) will present her 2022 novel, Children of the Catastrophe. Join us for reading, discussion, and refreshments following the author's talk. 



Sarah's will be available for purchase and to have signed. 


Northport -- the place to be!



2 comments:

Karen Casebeer said...

Excellent! I just read All the Sinners Bleed by S.A. Cosby. A murder mystery set in the South. Besides the mystery part, racism bleeds throughout the storyline. I highly recommend it as have other reviewers, such as Stephen King in the NYT and Adrian McKinty on NPR. You might want to consider it for your NEW book section.

P. J. Grath said...

Thanks for the recommendation, Karen. Looks like we have dodged a bullet with a UPS strike: contract not signed yet but negotiated. Keep books moving, I say!