Search This Blog

Saturday, January 14, 2023

Beautiful Music From an Old Saw

 

Sketch from that day in Paris

One September day in the year 2000, the Artist and I were at the Gare de Lyon in Paris, awaiting our train south to Avignon, where we would stay a couple of nights before picking up a rental car to meander our way back north. We were watching the arrivals and departures clicking over on the board and listening intently to hear, over the hubbub of a tightly packed crowd, announcements of departures from the loudspeakers when, floating as it were over sound so dense it seemed almost a solid mass, came strains of music ethereal. I had to find the source! We made our way through the noisy throng and came upon a small clearing, in the center of which was a man playing a saw. Yes, a saw – that old-fashioned carpenter’s tool, only bent with his left hand to different curvatures and bowed with his right like a cello. I saw it and heard it and still could hardly believe the beauty of it!

 

Oft-repeated bits of conventional wisdom are sometimes referred to as “old saws,” a usage that has nothing to do with the tool but comes from an old English word for discourse (‘saga’ comes from the same source), and so my introduction today is not etymological but metaphorical -- if that! More homonymic, really. 

 

Conventional wisdom has it that a sure way to happiness is to count one’s blessings daily. I’ve written about counting blessings before, although gratitude last year for me came not from following advice, conventional or more personal, but as a spontaneous emotional response. My husband was dying, and yet in the midst of agonizing grief I was overwhelmed and greatly surprised to feel gratitude, also. At the same time! Gratitude for the happiness we had shared for so long, as well as for family and friends supporting us in the moment. It astonished me that I would feel gratitude along with grief – that I could feel gratitude at all at such a time. (I would never have anticipated it.) But I was, if you will, grateful for the gratitude, too, as it got me through those difficult, unreal days.

 

As time goes by, however, and grief drags on, the spontaneity of gratitude is not always available. At least, that has been my experience, and that’s why I turn to the old saw about counting blessings. My need for conventional wisdom is especially strong right now, as day after day brings one anniversary after another of last year’s events. 

 

I will not even attempt to list all my blessings here, for truly they are infinite, but will focus on two that are deeply meaningful to me this January. 

 

I am grateful beyond what words can say that my beloved was spared the loss of his cognitive abilities and attendant loss of independence and decision-making, possibilities he dreaded much more than he feared death. [I re-read this sentence and realize that it is misleading. He did not fear death at all. More than once he told me (and I heard him say the same on the phone to friends), "I'm not afraid to die. I've had a good life."] His biggest worry whenever he had to have surgery was, would there be some problem with the anesthetic that would injure his brain and alter his mind for the worse? After an operation, his most pressing question was, “Am I still smart?” Yes, my love, you were, every time! He was himself, right up to the end of his life, and he went out on his own terms, as he had always lived. 

 

I’m certainly not grateful that he’s gone but deeply grateful that he was able to hold onto what was most important to him as long as he lived. Not everyone is so fortunate. He was, and his good fortune must be mine, too, now as always.

 

My other cause for gratitude this January of 2023 is the presence of my dog, that lively little puppy the Artist encouraged me to bring home, a puppy he decided was more important to both of us than the Italian motorcycle he’d been contemplating buying. I am grateful to my beloved for the puppy and grateful to the puppy for her presence. In the morning, there she is, and I say to her, “Good morning, sweetheart. I’m glad you’re here.” Then I look at my husband’s photograph next to the bed and say to him, “Good morning, sweetheart. Thank you for the life we made together, and thank you for Sunny!” 






He knew me. He loved me. We were happy and knew it and did not take our happiness for granted. In this world of so many woes, how wonderfully fortunate is that? And though I miss him every day, an eager little dog face makes me smile, and I have a companion indoors and out, and my two streams of gratitude run together into a river.

 

January. The “bleak midwinter.” We are under a winter storm advisory this weekend, though most of the snow should fall and stay above 7000 feet, that is, on the mountaintops. May we all be safe and be grateful this holiday weekend for the life of Martin Luther King, Jr. 





P.S. For an urban adventure featuring books, see previous postBook reportage and stories of my Cochise County expeditions on Christmas Eve (wildlife) and New Year’s Eve (uphill climb) at links in this sentence. 




10 comments:

Dawn said...

It sounds as though you have found something of a peace and joy combination. Something of an accomplishment, that, when you are so fresh from the initial grief. I'm glad you have her too, she is a connection to him and to the future. This was a lovely post.

P. J. Grath said...

Joy might be too strong a word for my present state, Dawn. The brightness level of the world's display is definitely still turned down in my heart. But Sunny certainly helps.

Ruminating said...

Beautiful and two of the greatest blessings, for the loved one to be totally him or herself to the end, and for the unlimited adoring love of a dog companion. I share that and have to correct myself any time I say I live alone. I am never alone and never unloved.

P. J. Grath said...

Sometimes I wonder if Sunny "loves" me. I know Peasy did -- and Sarah would have loved anyone. She loved just about everyone she ever met! I tell SJ we are stuck with each other and try to make sure her life isn't too boring. But I know what you mean! I really don't see how anyone has the courage to face the world without a dog.

Karen Casebeer said...

I'm so glad you've been able to feel gratitude during the grief. And I hear you about what a dog means during these hard times. During my knee rehabs when I couldn't get out much, and then again recently when I was isolating and recovering from covid, Gracie was always there with her unconditional love. Dogs are the best! Well, almost.

P. J. Grath said...

Glad you have Gracie with you, Karen! I had a message this morning from a friend in Northport who had visited a recently widowed and bereaved neighbor and was glad to see a little dog on the widower's lap. What would we do without them?

Jeanie Furlan said...

We just left a visit with relatives - teens, a niece & husband, and Antonio’s sister. And two marvelous DOGS who love us! We always take them on long walks and go through any muddy place where they MUST sniff SOMEthing that is very important. We laugh and have a great time. We have to leash them on the walk, but there are open fields where they can run wild. And they come back all panting and happy! I felt sad when we had to leave them, but we’ll go back! Your comments on being grateful are very moving, so wonderfully explained, how David approached his end, his fear of losing his faculties - that is mine, too - and the deep understanding that Sunny J was the right puppy. I will try to remember all your ways of dealing with grief because I have the feeling that Antonio and I will not go away from this world at the same time. Thank you for helping me face these very hard things in my future. In this blog I feel you reaching out to others, and it helps.

P. J. Grath said...

What I want to say now, tonight, is that you will deal with the future when it comes, and NOW, the important thing is to make the most of each day you and Antonio have together. I cannot tell you how much it means to me that the four of us were able to have time together -- and how glad I am that you and A are still together in your strong, happy marriage. THAT is one of many things I am grateful for tonight.

Jeanie Furlan said...

I feel honored to be on your list of grateful things in your life, and in mine. We do try to make plans, see people, try out new activities or places - maybe Patagonia in ‘24 so we keep ourselves happy and interested. OH! Julia and her partner Stephanie (now together 2-ish years) are having a baby! Julia is carrying the little one, and is about 14 weeks, and she & Baby are super healthy! Baby is a GIRL and will be born in August - and we’ll be grandparents - pretty wonderful! We better continue to eat our broccoli and exercise every day, right?! Mid 70’s and OK with our 4 floor walk-up…now Baby Girl will brighten our lives! 💕

P. J. Grath said...

A happy daughter is a reason for gratitude, for sure, Jeanie -- and a baby? Yes, you must stay healthy and enjoy many years of grandparenthood!