Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Makin' Hay


A woman called the bookstore this morning, just as I was opening for the day, to ask if I carry Don Lystra’s book. I’d just spent half an hour e-mail blitzing my local community to remind them that Don’s signing at Dog Ears is this Friday (see right-hand column), which only goes to show that there’s no such thing as too much publicity. (It’s harder to get the word out to everyone than in-the-know people might imagine.). Don stopped in early today, and we had a chance to chat about his publishing experience and the new book he's working on.

So, yes, it’s “high season” here, and the work is nonstop. Plants and insects and farmers are all at work, too, all of us laying up stores for the lean times of winter.


It’s hazy, it’s crazy, but lazy? Not!

4 comments:

Dawn said...

Try to remember the soothing days of winter in Florida as you race through these high touristy times. It's all worth it!

P. J. Grath said...

Actually, it's worth it right now. I love my bookstore and meeting people and having old friends come in to search my treasures. And you're right that it will also be good to have the quiet time in Florida when I can devote myself to writing and drawing. My life has balance--if you look at the year as a whole and not a single summer day!

Anonymous said...

As the fellow said, standing with one foot on the stove and the other on a cake of ice, "On average, I'm comfortable!"

This was a happy hello--glad it's a busy summer--looking forward to a richly satisfying fall.

P. J. Grath said...

Gerry, that "comfortable man" is a wonderful image, funny and true, at least metaphorically. I'm only looking ahead about a week at a time, but that's how summer is. I'm sure fall will be luscious, too, when we get to it.

About my hay pictures: I always think, if hay smells as good as it does to us, imagine how fantastic it must smell to horses!