Search This Blog

Monday, August 9, 2010

Artists Still Crazy, Dogs Lying Low, as Dog Days Settle In


This image of melting ice cream swirled with chocolate syrup is intended to answer the question, “How hot is it?”

Do parents do this kind of thing in the 21st century? My mother and father taught little toddler me to responded to their question, “What’s the brightest star in the sky?” with the shamelessly coached response, “Sirius, the dog star!” I remember knowing the answer but had no idea what the dog star was. If you’re in the same boat, you can follow this link to read about Sirius and why the hottest summer days are called “dog days.”

Heat does not seem to dampen the zany ways of artists. Painters Jack Warden and David Grath proved irrepressible on Sunday evening.



Sarah enjoyed the tepid Lake Michigan water this morning and afterward was happy to lie in front of the fan at the bookstore.


Who's crazier during the dog days, dogs or artists?

8 comments:

Deborah said...

From the photo of those artists it would seem that artists are far more crazy than dogs. Please don't tell me that that finger was truly human.

P. J. Grath said...

It's a real finger, all right, Deborah, but there's a trick to it. We used to do something similar when we were kids. Remember?

Anonymous said...

Sarah seems eminently sane to me. But then, so do the artists. Make of it what you will. Let us swear to remember these days when it is cold in February and we are grumpy.

Anonymous said...

Too funny, love the old finger in the box trick!

P. J. Grath said...

Gerry is right--it's good to take time to be silly when the weather gets hot. More wagging, less barking. Maiya remembered the old trick. Simple fun, eh? Do Spencer and Jack go for that kind of thing?

Deborah said...

Working for a school of medicine I'm much more apt to think of a real finger being studied than an old trick, which I certainly remember, as I remember Dad taking my nose away!

Anonymous said...

Oh my! I know that severed finger trick all too well. I did it SO many times when I was younger. I used to call it a mummy's finger and would wrap it in gauze for special effect. What a hoot! Just this past month I decided to not throw out a small jewelry box, thinking it would be just the right size to use for a mummy finger with which to 'shock and awe' my grandson.

P. J. Grath said...

Mummy's finger, of course! Amy-Lynn, that's what we called it, too. Interesting to see that the severed finger trick is almost as popular with blog readers as Barbies.