Search This Blog

Thursday, November 12, 2009

Picture Potluck Again


Today will be my potluck of picture leftovers, a few images that deserve their turn, though they don't fit together as a story. The brightly painted cat at the Old Art School Building in Leland, for example, caught my fancy earlier in the year, but somehow I never got around to posting any pictures of it. Never did work the horse below into a post over the summer, either. I love the flirty way she was whisking her tail around. I know, I know, just keeping flies from landing....


There are always so many things to see on any given day, so many stories to be followed, that a lot of them don't make the blog. This is a kind of downtown traffic that always brings a smile to my face:


One more autumn foliage picture? While 2009 was not the most colorful Leelanau fall on record, we did enjoy some lovely days and beautiful scenes.


That ordinary-looking rock there? Look closer. It holds a patch of Hexagonaria (Petoskey stone) fossil. Everyone in this neck of the woods has a bowl of Petoskey stones around the house somewhere. One friend of mine has them around the foundation of her house.




Sarah has a way of leaning on her "elbow" that makes her look almost like a human passenger in the car. Or a chimp, at the very least.


Old wooden chairs look so good in the landscape that there's no need to break them up for firewood. Some are visible to all in mowed yards, while others wait in the woods, unseen, until a walker comes upon them.




Now, time for me to hit the books again....

5 comments:

Gerry said...

Oh, Sarah, you sweetie.

P. J. Grath said...

Isn't she a funny little darling?

Deborah said...

Pamela, I remember the first time my eyes were centered on a Petoskey stone. Ian was showing me a stone - and he was probably not more than 3 or 4 - and saying proudly it was a Petoskey stone he'd found. He was such a little guy showing me such a big find!

Anonymous said...

This is the second time I've read about these Petoskey stones on a Michigan blog. Very cool.

Those chairs in the tall grass make such beautiful still lifes.

P. J. Grath said...

And now Ian says of Petoskey stones, "Mom, I've lived my whole life in Michigan. I've seen Petoskey stones before!" When our Kansas friends visited us in Leland years ago, though, Carol was thrilled to spot a Petoskey stone on the beach. What does it say about me, at my age, that I still get excited when I find them?