Search This Blog

Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Life in the Round


The form of this beautiful David Austin rose is almost that of a globe, petals held tight to circumference rather than loosely furled. This is one of Claudia’s roses, posted today for friends in the hospital, soldiers overseas, and all veterans of the confusing, complicated, sometimes joyful, sometimes tragic ground of all experience and effort we call Life.

The natural world seeks the perfection of globes and circles, and when we feel our affinity to it all, our membership in the natural world, we too return to circles.



5 comments:

Gerry said...

Here we are. stepping up beside you to join hand and paw in the great circle. Peace, my friend.

P. J. Grath said...

Et cum spiritu tuo.

Dawn said...

While visiting a friend who lives in Northport I found the circles that beach grass make fascinating as well. Beautiful photos!

Jessica Winder said...

I like this series of pictures on the theme of circles. I wonder what the unusual fungus growing on the sand is? I would never have thought it possible for one to grow in that sort of place - maybe there was an bit of old wood underneath or there was soil beneath the sand.

P. J. Grath said...

Thanks, Dawn and Jessica. Dawn, maybe in a few weeks the ferns and grasses will be making their circles in the snow! I have no idea about the fungus, Jessica, but I appreciate your speculation about a possible organic host object or layer beneath the sand. This photograph was taken at Houdek Dunes, and on my past two visits there I have seen quiet a variety of fungi, all shapes and colors, almost all mysterious--but beautiful--to me.