Search This Blog

Monday, April 15, 2024

Where Shall I Go Now?

This is not how it looked. This was an unintended fancy setting.


The past is no longer there.

 

When I learned that my friend Hélène had died – and although she was my mother’s age, it came as a shock -- I knew that Paris would never be the same for me. It was in her apartment on the rue de Vaugirard that I rented a room for the month of May 1987, and one of my fondest memories from the long-deferred dream journey David and I made together in September 2020 was an evening in an Auvergnat restaurant in Hélène’s neighborhood, David’s young English friend, Justin, completing our international quartet. “We’re making beautiful memories,” Helene said to me, leaning her head on my shoulder for a moment. 


From album of that trip in 2000

Was that really 24 years ago? We always thought we would go back


After the expected yet deep pain of losing our old Sarah to old age, followed by the more tragic loss of poor little Peasy, the Artist and I had a few weeks (all too brief) in which we thought about making a much longer, more roundabout trip back to Michigan in May, going north into South Dakota (a state David had never seen but where I was born) and then to the Twin Cities in Minnesota, home of children and grandchildren we hadn’t visited on their own home grounds for too long. But that trip was not to be….

 

One of my sisters spends a couple weeks in early spring down in San Miguel de Allende and says I’d love it there. People I’ve known for years here in Leelanau have bought a house in the south of France and tell me the guest room is waiting for me. “But I have a dog,” I tell them. I’ve crossed the U.S. between southeast Arizona and northern Michigan three times with Sunny Juliet, so domestic travel presents no problems (even Canada would be doable, except for big cities), but how could I leave my little partner to go out of the country?


***

 

The foregoing I set aside without posting and eventually put up something else instead. Travel? Not in my cards at present.

 

Then along came Sunday morning, as it does reliably every week, and the sky was a cloudless blue, sun bright, barely a breeze stirring -- features of the morning that may or may not come together on any given Sunday, so hallelujah! -- and I realized that I had not been any farther from home than Grand Traverse County for almost a year. Several errand trips to Traverse City and one drive to Interlochen were the extent of my “travel” since return from Arizona in May 2023. Also, this year April 15 marked 32 years since the Artist and I exchanged vows for the second time (Kalamazoo, MI, the first time; Paris, Illinois, second). 


Paris, Illinois, April 14, 1992


My gypsy feet itched for the road, and I thought about Benzie County. Specifically, there was allure in the idea of following M-22 south of Empire. But there was a loose button on my shirt….

 

 

Surprise trip back

 

So I got out my sewing basket, and found when I opened it a little red notebook, a diary from April and May of 2015, that began with our last days in Dos Cabezas – that is, the last days of our first time there, a mid-January to mid-April stay. We were eleven days on the road home that year, stopping often and doing a lot of sight-seeing, and every day’s sights and every evening’s stop were recorded in this book. I began reading and couldn’t stop, mesmerized by the memories brought back by my own handwritten lines. 


The little red travel diary

When I reached the last page and closed the book, I looked out my window at robins on still-bare branches and felt as if I had just crossed the continent again and had aged nine years in half an hour. That is the power of written words.


April 2015

 

The road to Benzie

 

Most of the day remained after my half-hour in the past, however, so dog and I, with camera, binoculars, water bottle, and water dish, piled into the car and headed south. Without going into all the details and every road we traveled, here are a few highlights from our Sunday on the road:

 

These were the true colors of Benzie County's Platte River.
 




Old work by beaver artist


Best views of Long Lake were from the road,

where there was no room to pull over,

so a tiny boat launching area was the best I could do.





In Frankfort, Sunny Juliet and I lunched at the A&W drive-in. 

A real drive-in! Shades of my childhood!

From there we drove around Crystal Lake to rejoin M-22, and then it was back home again and dog play for Sunny and Griffin, followed by bedtime with book and dog for me, finishing up my reading of William Kent Krueger's Windigo Island. Sunny and I slept well. We had had a big day.





9 comments:

Karen Casebeer said...

I loved your pictures and stories, Pamela, especially the red book last part about bonding with a place. Wandering with your dog on area backroads might be as satisfying going afar. At least, it is for me.

BB-Idaho said...

I agree with the power of written words and would add the power of photographs. What we say and what we see (and perhaps forget) preserved.
I recognize Sunny, but the trailing dog? It looks like one of the fairly
large "doodle" family. The shop dog at the local nursery is a Bernydoodle,
(part Bernese Mt. Dog and very large.) Her name is Posie. Sorry no photo!

Deborah said...

I echo the delight of others in reading this recent blog. Road travel in the company of a dog makes me smile in memories of my own past enjoyments. BB - now I really want to see a picture of Posie!

P. J. Grath said...

Thank you all for coming along with us. And yes, Griffin is poodle and Labrador retriever.

Angie said...

Load up the car with snacks and your dog, and hit the road. Such sweet memories that are---and are being made. I can't wait to be owned by another pup of whatever age. I love these Shetland Pony cats but they do not take the place of canines for me. :). I would love to purchase one of your canvas bags by mail, as I don't think I will be in your neck of the woods any time soon. :). Please? Will be happy to pay purchase price as well as shipping. What do you think? :)
P.S. Hugs to the beautiful Sunny Juliet :)

P. J. Grath said...

Angie, send me a private message re bags. We can work it out. But I want to know -- have you started looking at dogs yet, or are you still getting ready?

Angie said...

I am not having any luck locating a private email address for you. Please share it with me so I can discuss my hopes for another dog and also hopefully for purchasing one of your bags. Need to order a book from you to stuff in that bag too. :). What's a bookbag without a book, right? LOL

P. J. Grath said...

Angie, my e-mail is dogears at netonecom dot net, converting 'at' and 'dog' to symbols, of course. Sorry for confusion. I was thinking you had left a comment on my business Facebook page and could send a message that way, but e-mail is better, anyway.

Angie said...

Thank you! I will email you soon.