Search This Blog

Tuesday, September 22, 2009

September, Subtle and Bright


This deer photo been subjected to Photoshop. Before post-production alteration, the coloring of the three adult deer in the image, turning from tan to grey, was subtle to the point of invisibility. There are many more instances of subtlety to be found in the September fields, woods and orchards, but Sunday’s bright, sunny plum harvest deserves to be recorded in its natural color. It was our first harvest of edible fruit from this little tree, two sweet, tiny plums, and I ate them both, after David waved his share away. They tasted like sunshine.





My reading these days, especially since I finished the absolutely riveting One Day in China, is as diverse as the sights that attract my camera. The most difficult book to read, from an emotional and moral point of view, is Skinner’s A Crime So Monstrous, a detailing of slavery around the world in our own time. The quirkiest is a book on diagramming sentences, Sister Bernadette’s Barking Dog, by Kitty Burns Florey. And the most relaxing, a book I may even have read once before, perhaps last year, is a mystery by Alexander McCall Smith with an Edinburgh setting, entitled Friends, Lovers, Chocolate. Wildly different as they are, each of these books is worth reading in its own way.

2 comments:

Gerry said...

Wait, wait - what is the poem about plums so icy and so cold? I know you know this. I rely on you to remember these things for me, as my memory is, well, gone.

And David gave you both plums? The man is a keeper.

Do not know if I can deal with contemporary slavery right this minute, but later on I might just give it a try.

Did you review One Day in China? Must investigate.

Let us send a copy of the grammar to NPR. I weary of hearing people struggling to use "whom." Let us abandon it once and for all. We never use it right anyway.

P. J. Grath said...

William Carlos Williams, "This Is Just to Say"! Thank you, Gerry, for the reminder.

I haven't written anything yet about ONE DAY IN CHINA, as I am still reeling from the stories in that book.

Grammar? Who are you kidding?