Search This Blog

Thursday, November 6, 2008

Getting Back on the Horse, Part II

Another glorious October morning. Our last of this beautiful stretch before cold sets in? Maybe. All the more reason to soak up every bit of sunshine and warmth today.

A few cloud wisps in the south and west were bright pink before sunrise. Sarah and I were out early. I felt I had to revisit yesterday's scene today, since it would be harder to go back the longer I waited. Proprietor gave me her usual warm greeting. I told her I'd felt bad about leaving the way I did but that pursuing argument felt not only frustrating--frustration often needs to be endured--but, worse, counterproductive. She listened (she's a good listener) and saw right away what I meant about argument escalating rather than resolvingconflict. "But when you left, he stopped," she said. "Nothing anyone said had an effect on him, but that did." So then I felt not quite so bad about having left. Still, I told her, not arguing is only the negative part of the challenge. The positive challenge, the one that is much, much harder for me (and you know that's hard if I tell you that my mother always said I'd "argue with St. Peter himself"), is to practice kindness in such situations.

Reading Obama's March 18th speech on race helps a lot. Hearing the happiness from all over the world helps, too.

No comments: