Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 10, 2024

What We Feel and What We Do About It

Sunny isn't angry but caught in rapid motion she looks a little crazed, doesn't she?

 

Anger:


Things were not going well for me on Monday and Tuesday, from a business point of view, and I don’t mean the expected post-holiday “cooling” (which is more like a solid freeze), but the fact that books I ordered from my national distributor in early December, with a back order in place, so I would be sure to have them by the book’s January 9 release date, had not even been shipped by January 9. They should have been shipped the previous Friday to get to me in time. On Monday I called customer service and spoke with a very pleasant young man about the situation, but he was too low on the hierarchy (bottom rung) and too far offshore (the Philippines) to be able to do anything for me. It’s Wednesday now, the book was released to the public yesterday, and my two orders are still not on their way to me.

 

In retrospect, I see that I should have ordered directly from the publisher. Hindsight. It never occurred to me that an order from my usual source of new books would not be honored in a timely fashion.

 

The online behemoth is sold out, on the first day of sales! They got their books! Are mine now being shipped to them? I am seriously and impotently pissed off.

 

…Sit with the anger. How does it feel? I feel disrespected. Invisible. Treated as valueless. Totally without power.

 

Yesterday I posted a question on Facebook in second person: “What would you lose if you gave up your anger?” One friend’s answer, which another echoed, was: “Stress, headaches, and more.” Okay, I’ll buy that. But when I put the question in first-person form, “What would I lose if I gave up my anger?” the question took on a different tone, because who would want to hang onto stress and headaches? No, I must be hanging onto something else, something important to me. 

 

Angry that my book order was not filled in time to have books by the on-sale date, what am I getting out of anger? What’s in it for me? If I can’t have the books, I’ll have instead -- .

 

Oh, yeah: Self-righteousness! If I’m powerless, I’m a victim. If I have been wronged, someone else is to blame. And I can feel, oh-so-right!

 

But.…  Does that feel good? Does it make me happy? Does it get me anything I really want – not only the books but visibility and respect?

 

(Do you recognize rhetorical questions when you encounter them?)

 

It isn’t even third prize. 

 

In this instance, there is no specific person to single out for blame -- which didn’t stop me from becoming very pissed off -- but what if, hypothetically, an individual could be identified? Let’s imagine some snotty Higher Up looking down at tiny little me (how likely is that? Ha!) and saying, “Don’t fill that order! Let her wait. Who cares about a little one-person bookshop in Northport, Michigan?” If that unlikely scenario were true, would blaming that HU get me my books any sooner? Make me feel respected and happy?

 

The truth is that I have no power here in this situation (I’ve done all I can do with phone calls and e-mails) and that life, as my father told me so often when I was growing up, is often not fair. And, honestly, this is one book release. If I don’t get first printings when my order finally arrives (assuming it does!), there’s nothing I can do about it, and although I’ll be disappointed (I’m already disappointed not to have the books on time), it won’t be the end of the world. It won’t even be the worst thing that’s ever happened to me. My husband died. That was the worst thing that’s happened in my life – and I’m still alive, still engaged enough with life to get all upset about a late book order! What foolishness! Cool it!



 

Altruism:

 

What I was thinking about most recently related to the brain stuff (see here, where I wrote about my top nonfiction picks for 2023) is the question of altruism. Psychologists and philosophers and others argue back and forth on this. Some claim that if apparently other-regarding acts benefit the giver (and studies show that they do: here is a whole list), then they are egoistic rather than altruistic. Freud saw altruism as neurotic, and Nietzsche saw it as antithetical to full human flourishing, while others point out that altruism, even extreme self-sacrifice, is not limited to the human species but can be seen exemplified in other animals, that we naturally care for each other, not only for ourselves, and that we would never survive otherwise.

 

(Does this remind anyone else of the nature vs. nurture question?)

 

I was thinking of the Thanksgiving and Christmas Eve dinners I took to our old friend. Why did I perform those apparently Good Samaritan acts? If it made me feel good, was it for his sake or really for myself?

 

Then dawn suddenly broke! What a completely left-brain question!!! The whole either/or, can’t-be-both manner of carving up the world is totally left brain! The need to have everything clearly categorized, right or wrong, yes or no. “Bullocks!” as Buck Mulligan said so often to Steven Dedalus. That isn’t life. That is a poor, thin imitation, not worth the bother of an algorithm creator. Life is much messier. It is both/and, paradox and ambiguity and mystery and enchantment. No one is an isolated, self-sufficient individual. And without the theoretical assumption of radical individualism, the question of whether or not altruism exists would never arise.

 

No more lights, but a magic wand remains.

 

Memories:

 

When I wrote about Christmas Eve, I said our old friend had been having a good day. He recognized me, remembered my name, etc. When he walked me to my car after the dinner we shared, he looked around at his yard and 40 acres and said, “We’re so lucky!” “Yes, we are,” I agreed.

 

Nine days later, on January 2, our friend was in the ER in Traverse City, and it’s pretty clear he won’t ever be able to return to his long-time home. Everyone saw it coming. We had just hoped it was going to be further down the road.

 

I’ll admit here to a selfish satisfaction -- in having what may well be my last memory of that old friend being a good time. We shared mutual memories, the sun was shining, he knew who I was and remembered my husband. He felt fortunate and expressed that feeling. “We’re so lucky,” he said in a heartfelt tone. Yes, we were. I hope his change in circumstances won’t be too hard on him.

 

Another friend of mine, who lost his beloved life partner some years ago, finds meaning in living as her “chief rememberer.” I feel some of that, too, although many remember the Artist. I remember not only him, my beloved, though, but many friends of years and decades past. The old Bluebird, the old Happy Hour. Winters when Sugar Loaf pulled in families of skiiers in the winter, and the Bird and HH did great weekend business. Jim and Linda, Fred and Molly, Les and Marina, Cy, Lisle, Marsha, Betsy, Hooper, Benny – oh, the names! I remember them all, even when the names elude me!

 

Today I am remembering many happy times shared. The snow is coming down hard tonight, but we had harder snows in the old days. Deeper snows. Longer, colder winters. You’ve heard it all before. Oldtimers’ recollections….

 

I don’t care. I’m glad I was there. I wouldn’t trade those times for quids.





Closing thought:

 

Somewhere recently (and to be quite honest, it was probably someone’s Facebook post) I read that we shouldn’t put beautiful things aside and save them for a “special occasion,” because every day we’re alive is a special occasion. So, sister Deborah, I took that Zabar’s babka out of the freezer, though I wasn’t having company, and let me tell you, it is delicious! Thank you! Another day of life! Another special occasion! 




10 comments:

Lucia said...

I want to comment because no one has since this morning! I have nothing to say! Except I read this, appreciated the juxtapositions of not-getting-the-book angst, life is lucky and short, and good bread!

P. J. Grath said...

Lucia, I am chuckling over your having "nothing to day" but being kind enough to comment on life's juxtapositions. Thank you so much, dear! Angst and gratitude and pleasure in food, yes -- and so much more! What a dense and complicated ball of this and that and the other thing our days are -- mine, anyway.

Karen Casebeer said...

A good rant on anger! As a retired psychologist, I find anger can be a useful emotion, letting us know something is wrong or we've been wronged. But you already knew that. Hope the books arrive soon. I know you've really been eager for her book.

P. J. Grath said...

Was it really a rant? I had hoped to present a deeper exploration.

Jeremy Connolly said...

I love your thoughtful perspective on everyday things that occupy us and we really wouldn’t trade—even the moments of anger;)

P. J. Grath said...

Thanks, Jeremy. I'm trying, though, to be easier on myself and others when those difficult moments arrive.

Jeanie Furlan said...

Anger! You were right to be angry. Being overlooked and ignored is so infuriating - a Grrr. Your ‘talking’ your way through looked like the best way to diminish it and get to the Cool it moment. You know, about doing Good Deeds, I’ve often thought that I was too self-satisfied afterwards. Then I got to the ‘both/and’ place because I knew that the recipient was glad in the exchange, so WHAT if I felt good, too. Yes, we should all try for altruism, I think. And memories! The holidays bring my memories together and I love the happy/sad of them. As you wrote: Life…is a paradox and ambiguity and mystery and enchantment. All of the above! So…eat your babka at any time of the day or year! I smiled happily after looking up what it is - YUM!

P. J. Grath said...

Well, looking back I don't think I was "right" to be angry. I should have ordered directly from the publisher -- or I could have jumped through some extra hoops I learned about afterward and may do now. Not only was it not personal, but I made more than one wrong assumption. Despite that, I did what I could with messages and repeated phone calls, the last of which got some action, so I feel good about that.

Isn't it funny, though, how we humans worry about whether we're being selfish when we do something for someone else? Or some people, I guess, would hold back from doing the kind thing for Nietzschean or Randian reasons. To quote Buck Mulligan again, "Bullocks!"

Why does growing up take decades? Oh, well, BLTN! Lovely to find your comment this morning, Bean! ❤️

Jeanie Furlan said...

Pamela! I don’t know if I could ever get through Ulysses, but Bullocks makes good sense to me! And yes, I do believe that I’m still growing up and learning. Reading books of all kinds helps, I think. At least that is what the NYT article says today. We’re off to our small-town library today to see what’s up. A neighbor, so helpfully has indicated all kinds of different activities and places to see! An art exhibit in the library’s basement! Well, BLTN applies to all of us in all of our facets of life. BTWay, I loved Kristin Hannah’s visits to Russia, but the book Winter Garden didn’t quite gel for me. I’ll look for W. Mosley’s book perhaps in the book store! Thanks 😊, dear friend! 💕

P. J. Grath said...

I've decided that this year, instead of posting a list quarterly of books I've read, I'll do it monthly and give at least a little note with each one. Won't be rating with a star system but will indicate which ones receive my most fervent recommendations. Stay tuned!