Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 24, 2016

1600


Morning light shimmers on Grand Traverse Bay


In the year 1600, Elizabeth I was queen of England, and James VI the king of Scotland. Shakespeare’s “Hamlet” was (probably) performed onstage for the first time.

That isn't snow -- it's cherry trees in blossom

In Japan, Ieyasu set up as “unquestioned ruler” and was advised on shipbuilding by navigator William Adams of England (see The Timetables of History). Rubens was at work in Italy, and Giordana Bruno was burned as a heretic in Rome. The magic lantern was invented (by Athanasius Kircher) and the London East India Company founded. Wigs became popular.


Blooms at St. Wenceslaus Church

Today's is the sixteen-hundredth post of Books in Northport, a blog quietly inaugurated in the fall of 2007. Who knew I’d keep at it this long? Kind of like, when I first opened Dog Ears Books in 1993, who know I’d still be selling books in 2016?

Forget-me-nots remind me of friends

Time goes by, one day at a time.

First supper outdoors in 2016

Seasons come and go





9 comments:

Deborah said...

Who knew indeed? And I've enjoyed all 1600 posts, as well as many suppers outdoors at the farm. Thank you!

Dawn said...

I for one, am glad of both...there blog and the retail store.

P. J. Grath said...

Thanks to YOU both, Deborah and Dawn! I appreciate and value your appreciation and am grateful for it.

twessell said...

Pamela, 'Books in Northport' and Dog Ears Books are such great community resources! Although I have not read all 1600 posts (What an accomplishment!), I have enjoyed and learned from all that I have read. Thank you for what you do to enrich our lives. Congratulations for your 1600 milestone.
Ty!

P. J. Grath said...

Thank YOU, Ty, for being such a loyal customer, enthusiastic reader, and strong supporter of Dog Ears Books -- as you are of every good thing in our community. What did we ever do before you came? Glad you're here now!

BB-Idaho said...

1600 posts is a remarkable achievement, given that, as far as I know, each was thoughtful, well written and stood on its own. As we consider the year 1600 and its history, the thought occurs that you
also through the series of posts, passed through the years of the Roman Era, the Dark Ages, the phases of Medieval times and right on
up to the Renaissance. Hopefully, you will march on through the
Age of Discovery, the Age of Enlightenment etc on to the Space Age!
Since I seem to be one of the two dozen citizens that has no cell
phone, I hope you don't get to the Age of Big Data for a long time. :)

P. J. Grath said...

If I were passing through all those centuries, BB, I would probably stop (if possible, but here we're letting our imaginations run wild, no?) and tarry in the late 1700s. The eighteenth century always seems so much more relaxed than the repressed and gung-ho nineteenth. Although I'm pretty content with the time I've spent on earth. Trying to hold the line here in literary rural country.

Gerry said...

What an interesting way to mark 1600. Like so many of your notions, it got me thinking about things and following rabbit trails and . . . Well. Glad I stopped by, as always.

P. J. Grath said...

To be perfectly honest, Gerry, I took that route because 1600 seemed an unintuitive number of posts to recognize in any other way. Then I got curious, too -- rabbit trails, as you say.