Search This Blog

Friday, March 13, 2009

Various Delights




Many mornings David and I have a late morning coffee (make mine espresso) at Paesano’s Italian Bakery & Deli in Spring Hill. Paesano’s has recently added gelato to their offerings, and I was interested to see that they went for flavors rather than right colors: cappuccino, pistachio, tiramisu, chocolate, spumoni. We feast our eyes on the pastries and then order toasted, buttered bialys to go with our coffee, sometimes splurging on a special loaf of bread to take home.

My writing project has stalled. A couple of things going on in our lives distracted me, and I lost momentum. Also, I have the strong feeling that the whole story needs to be changed from the third to a first-person narrator. I continue to accomplish (if that’s the right word) a lot of winter reading, however, and one author may help me with my own work. I just read a memoir, Borrowed Finery, by Paula Fox, and am intrigued to learn that she has written many books for children and young adults. I love her writing so will hit the juvenile section today at the library and see what I can learn from a pro.

The night before the full moon worked out well with the camera, as the moonrise and sunset were going on simultaneously. This may or may not be the sunset of that day; it is definitely the moon that night, and you see here both moon and sunset sky as we saw them from the bridge over the South Fork of Hammock Creek in Aripeka, Florida.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What about a first-person narrator who tells the story of the protagonist in the third person?

"When Nikki sat down in my third grade classroom on the first day of school and glared at me with those enormous golden eyes, I knew it was going to be an interesting year."

Not an omniscient narrator, but a direct observer of much that goes on, and perhaps a confidante of the principals.

Hey, if it works, send me some of those pastries . . .

P. J. Grath said...

Wow, Gerry! I might be able to handle that voicing assignment in a short story, but so much goes on in a young girl's mind when she's all alone....

Ah, yes, the pastries. Last week I wke one morning from a dream of empanadas and keep thinking we'll have to stop at the empanada wagon one of these days for a curiosity-satisfying lunch.