Search This Blog

Saturday, July 19, 2008

Too Shy to Make Public Comment


“Read your blog today and had to comment on milkweed! I have fond memories of childhood in East Leland when we found Monarch Butterfly cocoons in milkweed pods. Put them into a bottle and watched them grow! The Steffens cows never seemed to bother the milkweed. Milkweed is an excellent example of biodiversity. Everything in nature counts but some stand out - milkweed stands out!” That comment came in an e-mail message from Australia.

Another e-mail, from Cedar (just down the road, by comparison), was this: “I discovered your blog last spring and enjoy reading your insights about books and life.” This friend is an artist with some of the same yearnings I have toward farming, and she goes on, “My project right now is raising baby chicks (meat & eggs) it has been one of the most interesting things I've done in years.”

Sometimes comment comes face-to-face in the bookstore, as the other day when one woman told me, “My husband reads your blog every day in South Carolina.”

So to the shy and the bold and everyone in between, thanks for reading! It’s hard to find time to write and post in July, but I’ll keep making the effort.

A soft, quiet fog this morning envelops the hills around our little old farmhouse, giving the illusion of time standing still. If only it would, just for a while! The question, however, of what to read next looms almost as large as when to find reading time: should it be THE STORY OF EDGAR SAWTELLE, as I’ve been promising myself, or should it be THE BOOK THIEF, by Markus Zusak? Maybe the latter first, as the former is so long? Today or tomorrow should see me to the end of INCOMPLETENESS, by Rebecca Goldstein, who by the way is a joy of a writer. My friends and I in graduate school devoured her novel THE MIND-BODY PROBLEM, hooting with recognition. Big Steve, you’d like that one, I’m sure!

4 comments:

Lisa said...

I love the photo and the blanket of milky fog. So beautiful. We'll be in Leelanau come August 9. I'll swing up to Northport to introduce myself and say hello.

Your musings on life on the peninsula have a grounding effect. They ooze what life is really all about and feed my hunger for the life we left behind in my fair Michigan. Can't wait to get home.

Lisa

P. J. Grath said...

August 9 is the dog parade, Lisa. Are you only arriving that day? I ask because the Tot would love this quirky Northport event. I look forward to meeting you.

Anonymous said...

I'm the guy who reads the blog in South Carolina! Your pictures help keep me in touch to Northport, while I'm away from the family. I'll be up there in August to move everyone back home until next year, and I and the kids will no doubt come down the hill to the bookstore one morning.

P. J. Grath said...

Hey there, South Carolina! August will be fun, with so many new friends to meet in Northport!