Search This Blog

Sunday, March 16, 2008

Looking Hard to See Spring


Okay, this is just a miniature lake of snowmelt in our side yard, but I hope you see its larger significance. Spring is on the way! Our friend George reports a robin sighting. He also heard the first red-winged blackbird. (The redwing “song” always reminds me of the sound of old swingset chains and makes me nostalgic for first grade.) Here at the farm, I heard geese early Friday morning and later caught sight of a V overhead. “They’re back!” I cried out in joy. “They’re crazy!” responded David, shaking his head. The earliest I have a record of hearing spring peepers is March 26, and he couldn’t believe that, either.

Saturday’s weather (dreary gloom) does not bear recounting, but John and Tegan’s visit to the bookstore brought light and cheer (not to mention all Tegan’s help on the almost-finished jigsaw puzzle), as did that of our philosophical friend, Big Steve, and the late-day appearance of some Traverse City folks who hadn’t been to Northport since Dog Ears Books moved from Nagonaba (back) to Waukazoo Street. Susan stopped in only briefly, saying she just came to pick up her book order, but she always comes to see Sarah on Saturdays, and she’s always as welcome as—the flowers that bloom in the spring, tra-la!

In the evening David and I drove all the way to Traverse City for a couple hours of music at Horizon Books, downstairs in the Shine cafĂ©, and our effort was more than repaid. Musicians Graham Parsons and Joe Artibee had come all the way from the Keewanaw peninsula, after all, so what was our 40-minute drive compared to theirs? And did we buy the CD? You bet! Serious musicianship, surprising lyrics, easy harmony and stage charm won us over. Graham and Joe will tour with their full band complement this summer. For now, if you’re anywhere in Michigan, check out the spring schedule for Squeaky Clean Cretins here.

Sunny day! A day to spend with David and Sarah and John Locke’s SECOND TREATISE ON GOVERNMENT. I've been bouncing between philosophy and murder mysteries these days. That makes for odd reflections, but I'll save those for another day.

5 comments:

dmarks said...

I forget, but maybe you know which bird goes "Hee hoo, Hee hoo" ?

P. J. Grath said...

I forget, too, if I ever knew, but I've passed the question along to some birding friends and will let you know if I get an answer. Or maybe someone else will see your question here and give us both the answer.

Lisa said...

P.J., I check out your blog from sunny Scottsdale, AZ. I'm a transplanted (not terribly willingly, I might add) Michigan native who has her heart still firmly planted in the northwest corner of The Mitten.

I suppose the geese are, indeed, back in Michigan. They left Arizona several weeks ago. One final night, a huge flock flew north over our house, and so low I could make out the definition of their feathers. That was the last night I saw them so I'm sure they were beginning their journey that evening.

Enjoy them for the summer. I miss their honking and wing flapping. It always reminded me of home.

Great site. It helps sooth my homesickness.

Lisa

Anonymous said...

We have one of those little "lakes" a few houses down. It's nice for the ducks who float there until early summer when it finally disappears.

By the way, I read your name in Joe Borri's acknowledgments. How cool is that?

And... I never noticed, but you're right - red winged blackbirds and squeaky swingsets. Hmmm. Saw my first robin Saturday, but it's supposed to snow here tonight. Hope he's got a heated nest!

P. J. Grath said...

Oh, Lisa, maybe it's your geese flying over my farmhouse! That's a nice thought, anyway. When the St. Johnswort blooms here in Michigan, I like to think of it blooming in Europe, too. Many ties hold us all together.

Diane, my side yard "lake" turned back to crackly ice again, but what will it be today when I get home--ice or water? Saw a sweet little black-capped bird this morning and first thought it was a chickadee (those don't leave for the winter but are always so sweet to see and hear), but then I saw a chickadee nearby. What was the first? It was much smaller, slimmer, quicker in flight. And yes, Joe and I were in correspondence over his ms. for a long time before the book came out. I predict a bright future for him as a writer.