Search This Blog

Friday, February 1, 2008

Keeping Them Alive

The plants in the bookstore/gallery window this winter do not suffer the typical neglect I visit on houseplants unlucky enough to join our household. This is the secret: they are not at home but here at my place of business--where my days are spent, on public view, demanding care every day. I appreciate these green leaves and colorful flowers in the (sometimes sunny) window and don’t mind watering the plants, but I can’t help thinking from time to time that if I and they were in Florida we could all be outdoors, flourishing in the sun. Oops! Sorry, Michigan! That’s just a grey day weariness talking. Another evening in the Lake District with Beatrix Potter, another night spent dreaming of Hunca Munca and Jeremy Fisher, and I’ll be good as new in the morning.

No comments: